If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Rear Rotors-cryogenically or cross drilled?

jayslx1

Rear Rotors-cryogenically or cross drilled?

Post by jayslx1 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:07 pm

Has anyone tried cryogenically treated rotors on the back of their car? Or how about slotted or cross drilled?

andysinnh

Re: Rear Rotors-cryogenically or cross drilled?

Post by andysinnh » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:35 am

Personally, I can't see the benefit or advantage of slotted or drilled rotors with any of our vehicles, as their intent is to vent in extreme heat situations. Unless you're autocrossing or towing significant amounts, there's no real advantage for the extra cost, IMHO.

IN terms of cryo-treated rotors, I tried those once. I had a full-sized conversation that was having heating issues on the front brakes, and thought the solution was cryo-treated rotors to keep the rotors more true and have less warping. I tried two different sets, and in both cases, the cryo-treatment caused normally "true" rotors to become warped just due to the treatment itself. And once you did enough turning of the rotors to get them "true" again, you cut a significant amount of thickness from the rotors, and the net value of buying the treated rotors was thus reduced since the rotors were thinner. So unless you're buying high-end cryo-treated ones - where after they make them "true" after treatment with enough thickness left - I'd look the other way.

Stock rotors should work fine for our vehicles - both front and rear.....

andy
2 "Ford" and 2 "Honda" Family in NH

05 Accord LX Sedan Auto 118k miles
07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 67k miles
04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 1k miles

jayslx1

Post by jayslx1 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:59 pm

thanks for the advice. The reason I was inquiring is I purchased a set of Raybestos Advanced Technology rear rotors last April and it feels like the rears are now warped. I plan on trying a set of Centric's from Rockauto.com. I figure machining the Raybestos rotors will only be a temporary fix. I've always heard once you start machining a rotor it decreases the life of it, and it seems more cost effective in the long run to just replace the rotor.

ctrlraven

Post by ctrlraven » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:28 pm

Powerslot Slotted Cryo rotors matched with Hawk street pads is a good combo. Haven't put them on my 08 Taurus yet but I am running the same setup on two other vehicles of mine and haven't had any problems.
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 LX Sport
2004 Mercury Marauder
2006 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 Amarillo edition
2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD
2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD

stan t

Post by stan t » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:44 pm

hey guys this is stan t i found a place called brake labs front & rear rotors ceramic pads
front & rear and the rotors are drilled and sloted and zinc coated i have had them on for about 6 weeks now no problems i called o'reillys their best rotor for the front is about $80.00 bucks the rear is about $55.00 bucks. ceramic brake from napa which raybestos
makes them i was told. $90.00 for thefront and $65.00 for the back so all in all it would have been around $425.00 bucks with tax added in.and i paid $245.00.their phone # (714)777-2323.

kmohr3

Post by kmohr3 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:07 pm

I found the cheapest place to get Wagner Thermoquiets for my '08 Sable & '08 Taurus is Amazon - believe it or not. I paid $44 for the front a couple weeks ago, and about the same for the rear last December. Included free shipping.

As far as rotors go, Rock Auto still has some Centric 'closeouts' for $20 a piece, or Raybestos for about $27. Shipping will cost you about $20 for these things, though. Shipping weight was 47 pounds for 2 rotors.
ASE and VWoA Master Registered Tech

stan t

Post by stan t » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:50 pm

hey kmohr3 thanks for the tip you know i have bought a few things from amazon before like
mud flaps which are well worth the little bit of money they costed. got a pair for what ford
wanted for one and they are still working good.i didnt even think about amazon having brake stuff and i think they have a little of every thing but i like to run ceramics on my veh's no brake dust they are quite and stop good i run napa brand ceramics on my police cars at work the officers love them they can sneak up on people. raybestos i hope i spelled
that right anyway makes napa ceramics are so i was told they did its still a very good pad
a little high but you get what you pay for. well got to run got to start on a tune up on a ford explorer. stan t

jayslx1

Post by jayslx1 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:42 pm

Update, we replaced the warped Raybestos rear rotors with Centric and used Akebono pads. The Centric rotors are thicker than the Raybestos so hopefully they will withstand the heat better. Owned the Five Hundred 2 years and have already had 2 rear brake jobs. Way to go Ford engineers...............

ctrlraven

Post by ctrlraven » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:10 pm

:( Powerslot doesn't make rotors for my 08 Taurus. I'm researching to see if anyone makes stainless steel braided brake lines for it though, doesn't help too much in stopping power but gives a stronger feedback feeling on the brake pedal.
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 LX Sport
2004 Mercury Marauder
2006 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 Amarillo edition
2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD
2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD

jayslx1

Post by jayslx1 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:47 am

I agree with you on the stainless lines.............I have them on my LX50........should be factory on all cars.

deletedaccount

Post by deletedaccount » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:10 am

Yes, they managed to carry the same engineering problem over from 2005 to and including 2010. Anyone willing to bet it will be there for 2011? If it isn't already?

Does anyone make a quality, complete aftermarket brake system (at least rotors, pads & calipers) for the 2005-2010 500/Montego/Sable/Taurus line?

jayslx1

Post by jayslx1 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:53 pm

Baer or SSBC would be the only ones I can think of that might.