If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Bushing lubrication?

globo14

Bushing lubrication?

Post by globo14 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi all, this is my first post here. I'm in high school, and this past March, I bought my first car. It's a silver 2005 Five Hundred SEL. I absolutely love it! Such a nice, roomy, smooth car. Anyway, on to my problem...

My car has roughly 156k miles and I just put on some brand new tires last month.

For the past 6 weeks or so, I've been hearing a creaking noise coming from the back end of my vehicle. The noise started rather abruptly; there were no noises prior, but then one day (a very hot one, at that), this creaking noise began. The catch is, the noise gets louder as the temperature gets hotter, almost like clockwork. In the mornings when the temperature is only in the 50's or 60's, the noise is either nonexistent or very minimal. However, during the daytime hours on most days (with temperatures in the upper 70's and 80's), it's rather noticeable. This week has been the hottest all summer, with temperatures pushing 100, and the noise is the loudest it's ever been.

The noise also exists when I simply manually shake the rear end of my vehicle.

After some extensive Googling, I've narrowed down the problem to bushings. I took my car into the local Ford dealership within the last 2 months for some maintenance and everything checked out good on their multi-point inspection (including suspension, so I'm ruling that out). What I've found is that the bushings most likely need to be lubricated.

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to working on cars, yet I do know this is something I could do myself. So my question is two-fold:
A.) where are the rear bushings on this vehicle, and
B.) what kind of lubricant would be recommended?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Tomcat

Re: Bushing lubrication?

Post by Tomcat » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:55 am

Congrats on getting the five hundred. I'm not aware of any bushing to lubricate that would solve your problem. My guess would either be rear struts that need replacing (especially if they are original) or rear stabilizer links.

globo14

Post by globo14 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:00 pm

Tomcat wrote:Congrats on getting the five hundred. I'm not aware of any bushing to lubricate that would solve your problem. My guess would either be rear struts that need replacing (especially if they are original) or rear stabilizer links.
If that's the case, wouldn't the struts make the noise no matter the temperature? As I said, the noise is only there when the temperature gets above 70 degrees for the most part.

jelloyd

Post by jelloyd » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:12 pm

If it is the stabilizer link it will making a thumping noise when you go over small bumps at low speeds (parking lot speeds). I've changed three of the four stabilizer links already and replaced them with Moogs which are much thicker and greasable. Stablizer links will make some noise when you manually shake them if they're going out.

Might want to describe the noise a little bit better. Which side is it coming from? What speeds do you hear it from? If you put the backseats down is it louder? Does it happen after you go over a bump or is it constant while driving?

The bushings are going to be are cylinders that connect the control arms to the rest of the car. To lubricate them use only liquid soap.

globo14

Post by globo14 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:32 pm

The noise is quire clearly from the rear. It is there at all speeds. It does seem to have gotten louder over the last week or so.

Edsel II

Post by Edsel II » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:32 pm

Kind of funny - my car has the opposite problem. I've got a front end bushing that only creaks below 70 degrees. I'm pretty sure it's a sway bar mount bushing. I've squirted silicone lube on every moving part under the car and nothing works - I just live with it.

There has been an issue of the parking brake cables making a squeaking noise where they run through the lower control arms. There's a white plastic bushing around the holes where the cables run through them. Might start with greasing the cable at the point it passes through the control arm and seeing if that helps.

If that's not it, you could crawl under the back of the car with a can of lube and squirt every joint under there, and see if that does anything.