If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

What's the best way to make a black car shine?

Discuss anything about the exterior here - e.g. paint, styling, colors, wheels, etc.
MR.T

What's the best way to make a black car shine?

Post by MR.T » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:03 pm

I plan on waxing and polishing my black Taurus next week and was wondering if anybody had any tips or experience with what waxes,cleaners,etc..work the best. I did a search and found some info on here but it was from a couple of years ago. Please give the steps and what products to use if you have any info or ideas. Thanks!!!! :D
2008 Ford Taurus SEL
2004 Ford F150 FX4 Ext Cab,5.4L V8, 105K
1998 Ford Ranger 4x4 Ext Cab, 4.0L V6, excellent condition, 100K**SOLD**

Bnose

Re: What's the best way to make a black car shine?

Post by Bnose » Sun May 02, 2010 10:09 pm

I have been using Meguier's NXT wax on my last couple of cars (all black). You can apply it to the whole car and take it off when you want, no time limit. I just used it on my new Taurus last week and it looks sweet! I am shopping around for some better car wash though. Can't find anything that doesn't look dull after I dry it. Let me know if you have a suggestion.
2010 SHO - Tuxedo Black - every option box checked.
2007 Mercury Mariner
2001 Cobra Convertible

MR.T

Post by MR.T » Mon May 03, 2010 6:34 am

I think Meguier's has a car wash too but not sure. I was planning on getting either something from Meguier's or Mother's but there's so many different ones that all say they work great it's hard to choose. I will probably get the NXT wax then if nobody has any other suggestions. Thanks!!
2008 Ford Taurus SEL

sorensenj

Post by sorensenj » Mon May 03, 2010 7:05 am

I've used Nufinish car wash for a few years now and it suds up very well and doesn't leave a film or dull the finish. The bottle claims it doesn't attack the wax like a detergent can. I've tried a couple other car wash products but keep going back to Nufinish. Going over the dried finish with Mequiers Showtime really adds some luster to a good wash job and is easy to work with.
2008 T/X SEL awd
2008 Silverado LS 4x4

phillip

Post by phillip » Mon May 03, 2010 7:51 am

Remember, it's the polish that makes the care shine. Wax just protects the polish.

That being said, Meguiar's products are very good.
2006 Five Hundred Limited, black w/ pebble, moonroof, rear parking sensors, traction control, power memory pedals

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh » Mon May 03, 2010 10:08 am

Over on the driveaccord.net forum, one of the detailing-fanatic guys pointed me to this stuff at http://www.wetpaintglaze.com/ . I've used this stuff on dark cars and light cars, and it's simply amazing as to how it makes the car shine and leaves little to no residue. To me, having owned several black cars in the past, the biggest issue is residual haze, and the ongoing "clouding up" of the finish after subsequent washings. Back when I got my first black car (brand new 79 Olds Cutlass) the only thing you could do to help the finish was to wax it and clean the build-up off the surface. Now, with clearcoats and better washing solutions, the residue is less. But the key is to find something that protects the clearcoat and tries to repel the normal grime and grit that even washing can leave. To me, the Wet Paint solution does this better than anything I've ever used. It's a liquid you wipe on and wipe off and the result is amazing. The video on their web site is very accurate as to how it goes on and how the vehicle looks. My Montego, albeit gold in color, never looked as good as after I got done with a 20 minute Wet Paint treatment. Give it a try!

andy
2 "Ford" and 2 "Honda" Family in NH

05 Accord LX Sedan Auto 118k miles
07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 67k miles
04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 1k miles

evbassboy13

Post by evbassboy13 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:12 pm

Any suggestions on easy ways to protect/hide clear coat scratches and scuffs on a dark grey 500?

MR.T

Post by MR.T » Tue May 04, 2010 6:04 am

andysinnh wrote:Over on the driveaccord.net forum, one of the detailing-fanatic guys pointed me to this stuff at http://www.wetpaintglaze.com/ . I've used this stuff on dark cars and light cars, and it's simply amazing as to how it makes the car shine and leaves little to no residue. To me, having owned several black cars in the past, the biggest issue is residual haze, and the ongoing "clouding up" of the finish after subsequent washings. Back when I got my first black car (brand new 79 Olds Cutlass) the only thing you could do to help the finish was to wax it and clean the build-up off the surface. Now, with clearcoats and better washing solutions, the residue is less. But the key is to find something that protects the clearcoat and tries to repel the normal grime and grit that even washing can leave. To me, the Wet Paint solution does this better than anything I've ever used. It's a liquid you wipe on and wipe off and the result is amazing. The video on their web site is very accurate as to how it goes on and how the vehicle looks. My Montego, albeit gold in color, never looked as good as after I got done with a 20 minute Wet Paint treatment. Give it a try!

andy
Andy-Does this shine stay on the car for awhile or does it fade in a day or two? Can you only order this online? :? Is that all you do is wash the car and apply this wet paint glaze? (I couldn't get the video to play on their website) I think I might give this a try!!! :D
2008 Ford Taurus SEL

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh » Tue May 04, 2010 8:50 am

MR.T wrote: Andy-Does this shine stay on the car for awhile or does it fade in a day or two? Can you only order this online? :? Is that all you do is wash the car and apply this wet paint glaze? (I couldn't get the video to play on their website) I think I might give this a try!!! :D
Definitely stays on the car for quite a while. I did the Montego in October and even after a full winter and several car washes, the smooth feel to the surface of the car was still there and the car still is very bright. I used to be a Meguiar's fan and did their multi-step process even back during the 80's when you had to go to a body supply store to get their stuff. But once I used this Wet Paint, I'm making my life a whole lot easier and getting a better shine/protection. Also, I just don't have the time to mess with long duration shine-fests with my car and want things to hold up - and Wet Paint works for me.

You order it off of their web site - a large bottle and the smaller bottle with the pump/atomizer that you refill several times.

andy

ctrlraven

Post by ctrlraven » Tue May 04, 2010 9:27 am

A good hand wash, clay bar it once or twice and put some Dodo Juice Purple Haze car wax on it.
http://www.autogeek.net/dodo-purple-haze-wax.html

I've got a lot of friends who do professional detailing and that's what they recommend for my 2008 Black Taurus and WOW the results were unreal.
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 LX Sport
2004 Mercury Marauder
2006 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 Amarillo edition
2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD
2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD

MR.T

Post by MR.T » Tue May 04, 2010 7:21 pm

Andy-some Wet Paint is on the way for me-ordered some earlier today. :D

ctrlraven-I will try your suggestion next time if this one doesn't work because I have the same car as you!!! 8)
2008 Ford Taurus SEL

Len_A

Post by Len_A » Tue May 04, 2010 7:51 pm

phillip wrote:Remember, it's the polish that makes the care shine. Wax just protects the polish.

That being said, Meguiar's products are very good.
And the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional series are very, very good, among the best.
2005 Mercury Montego Premier AWD, Merlot with a Pebble interior. Safety Package, Reverse Sensing System, and Moonroof. X-Pel Paint/Headlight Protection. Lots of Zaino on the paint!

That which does not kill you, only makes you...stranger.

Len_A

Post by Len_A » Tue May 04, 2010 8:17 pm

andysinnh wrote:Over on the driveaccord.net forum, one of the detailing-fanatic guys pointed me to this stuff at http://www.wetpaintglaze.com/ . I've used this stuff on dark cars and light cars, and it's simply amazing as to how it makes the car shine and leaves little to no residue. To me, having owned several black cars in the past, the biggest issue is residual haze, and the ongoing "clouding up" of the finish after subsequent washings. Back when I got my first black car (brand new 79 Olds Cutlass) the only thing you could do to help the finish was to wax it and clean the build-up off the surface. Now, with clearcoats and better washing solutions, the residue is less. But the key is to find something that protects the clearcoat and tries to repel the normal grime and grit that even washing can leave. To me, the Wet Paint solution does this better than anything I've ever used. It's a liquid you wipe on and wipe off and the result is amazing. The video on their web site is very accurate as to how it goes on and how the vehicle looks. My Montego, albeit gold in color, never looked as good as after I got done with a 20 minute Wet Paint treatment. Give it a try!

andy
This stuff is exactly like DRI WASH 'n GUARD, and more so, SmartONE Waterless Car Wash, Wax & Sealant, and BriteSide® Miracle Wash Waterless Wash and Polish. I don't know, feel free to call me a snob, but I won't use this stuff on darker colors. I'm too afraid of swirl marks. As an Amsoil dealer, I've used the Miracle Wash. It's OK in the winter time, but come spring, I stripped everything off the paint and went back to Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional.

Since then, I've used Zaino with extreme success, and won't go near any of the waterless wash and shine products.

Aside from Zaino, my best recommendation on a black car would be Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional, using Meguiars Mirror Glaze #9 Swirl Remover 2.0, followed by Meguiar’s #21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0. #21 will outlast most products on the market, and has a hell of a shine on black.
2005 Mercury Montego Premier AWD, Merlot with a Pebble interior. Safety Package, Reverse Sensing System, and Moonroof. X-Pel Paint/Headlight Protection. Lots of Zaino on the paint!

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh » Wed May 05, 2010 8:05 am

Len_A wrote:This stuff is exactly like DRI WASH 'n GUARD, and more so, SmartONE Waterless Car Wash, Wax & Sealant, and BriteSide® Miracle Wash Waterless Wash and Polish. I don't know, feel free to call me a snob, but I won't use this stuff on darker colors. I'm too afraid of swirl marks. As an Amsoil dealer, I've used the Miracle Wash. It's OK in the winter time, but come spring, I stripped everything off the paint and went back to Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional.

Since then, I've used Zaino with extreme success, and won't go near any of the waterless wash and shine products.

Aside from Zaino, my best recommendation on a black car would be Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional, using Meguiars Mirror Glaze #9 Swirl Remover 2.0, followed by Meguiar’s #21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0. #21 will outlast most products on the market, and has a hell of a shine on black.
While I know the videos show the guy doing the application on a dirty car, I also don't buy into the washless shine stuff - so I always wash my car first. This makes application a lot easier and quicker, and I contend you get a better result.

For me, I just don't have the desire to spend hours doing the detail work on my cars that I used to do - it just doesn't satisfy my personal "feeling of accomplishment" needs any more. To me, I'd much rather use something that gives good results and I can claim victory in under 30 minutes - and that's what WetPaint does - and it holds up much better than I'd thought it would. Zaino and Meguiar's solutions are certainly top-notch and give great results - but they take time. If you don't want to invest the time, Wet Paint is among the best solutions out there.

andy

Len_A

Post by Len_A » Wed May 05, 2010 6:05 pm

andysinnh wrote:
Len_A wrote:This stuff is exactly like DRI WASH 'n GUARD, and more so, SmartONE Waterless Car Wash, Wax & Sealant, and BriteSide® Miracle Wash Waterless Wash and Polish. I don't know, feel free to call me a snob, but I won't use this stuff on darker colors. I'm too afraid of swirl marks. As an Amsoil dealer, I've used the Miracle Wash. It's OK in the winter time, but come spring, I stripped everything off the paint and went back to Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional.

While I know the videos show the guy doing the application on a dirty car, I also don't buy into the washless shine stuff - so I always wash my car first. This makes application a lot easier and quicker, and I contend you get a better result.

For me, I just don't have the desire to spend hours doing the detail work on my cars that I used to do - it just doesn't satisfy my personal "feeling of accomplishment" needs any more. To me, I'd much rather use something that gives good results and I can claim victory in under 30 minutes - and that's what WetPaint does - and it holds up much better than I'd thought it would. Zaino and Meguiar's solutions are certainly top-notch and give great results - but they take time. If you don't want to invest the time, Wet Paint is among the best solutions out there.

andy
If it works for you, use it. You're in great company, because within the last two years there's been a number of wipe-on, walk-away spray on paint sealants. One of the is Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal. Ideally, a user would want to make sure the surface is as swirl free as possible, using Zaino Z-AIO All-in-one, but Sal Zaino told me you can put Zaino Clear over anything. Over Zaino AIO, it lasts about six to seven months.

Another products like it are Optimum Opti-Seal and Ultima Paint Guard Plus. Ultima's whole line of products looks interesting. All have had good reviews.

But the main thing is that you use what works for you.

kmohr3

Post by kmohr3 » Wed May 05, 2010 9:15 pm

I've always been a traditional old fashion wax person - until, my brother turned me on to some of that Turtle Wax 'Spray and Dry'. I did both my Sable and Taurus in about an hour and they both look gorgeous. Also, the Meguar's Quik Detailer does a great touch-up between waxes.... And supposedly, can even be used on a dirty car. Just my 2 cents.
ASE and VWoA Master Registered Tech

ctrlraven

Post by ctrlraven » Thu May 06, 2010 1:45 pm

MR.T wrote:Andy-some Wet Paint is on the way for me-ordered some earlier today. :D

ctrlraven-I will try your suggestion next time if this one doesn't work because I have the same car as you!!! 8)
Just make sure your paint is fully prepped (cleaned) before applying wax.
Wash, clay bar, polish, and wax is the order you do things.

Here is a good "how to" video that has some useful info.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7mxMuEVLVM
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 LX Sport
2004 Mercury Marauder
2006 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 Amarillo edition
2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD
2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD

Len_A

Post by Len_A » Thu May 06, 2010 2:36 pm

ctrlraven wrote:
MR.T wrote:Andy-some Wet Paint is on the way for me-ordered some earlier today. :D

Just make sure your paint is fully prepped (cleaned) before applying wax.
Wash, clay bar, polish, and wax is the order you do things.

Here is a good "how to" video that has some useful info.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7mxMuEVLVM
Three notes of caution on this video:

1) Make certain the item you polish any scratches with is rated for clear coat paint.

2) I would not advise using apiece of a t-shirt - use a terry or microfiber applicator to polish the scratch out with - much safer than t-shirt. The Mother polish is good, Pinnacle Brilliance is over priced. Meguiar's No. 2 Fine Cut Cleaner can be more effect than the Mother's polish on more stubborn scratches, and is less expensive than the Pinnacle.

3) He pointed out claying the car - very good idea prior to using the abrasive polish. Very good thing to use.

Also, he's wrong on one thing - the newer polymers, one are not synthetic carnauba wax - they're synthetic sealants. Two, almost all polymer paint sealants shine as much as the best of the carnauba waxes.

He's right on two other things - One -apply in straight lines and remove in straight lines with a microfiber cloth, and two, you don't need to use any pressure. Buy good quality microfiber clothes.

Having said that, I'll go one step further - don't do it by hand. Invest in a good quality orbital polisher, the kind with removable pads, so you pick the right foam pad for the job, one kind for polishing, one kind for waxing. Professional results, and worth the reduction in physical work.

Best orbital polishers: Porter Cable 7424XP - very good. Porter Cable 7424 - very good. New Meguiar's Professional Dual Action Polisher, # G110V2 - good. Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital - good

Take your pick, you won't go wrong.

MR.T

Post by MR.T » Tue May 11, 2010 5:51 am

I tried this WetPaint Glaze that Andy recommended and this stuff works very well in a short amount of time. I did my whole car in 30-40 minutes tops taking my time and it really shined up good (I wish I could post some pics). Another thing I like about it is you don't have to worry about overspray because you can spray it on anything that will shine even your windows (cleans windows good too). I would recommend this to anybody who wants to make there car look good and doesn't have all day to do it. Sure you might be able to do a little better job using something else if you take 2-3 hours but I don't feel like spending that much time.
2008 Ford Taurus SEL

FordFrankenstein

Post by FordFrankenstein » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Here's my tip, don't wax it, everytime I wax my car it rains, than it looks like diarrhea dried up in rain form on the car XD just wash it real nice, I spray mine down at the car wash right after every storm.