If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

2008 Taurus with rear brake noise

whistlingdixie

2008 Taurus with rear brake noise

Post by whistlingdixie » Sun May 09, 2010 11:10 am

I bought a new 2008 Taurus last year. A pop nosie occurs if the car is parked in the garage for 7 or more days without being moved. I place my foot on the brake, start the car, disengage parking brake, move shifter to reverse, and when I remove my foot from the brake the pop sounds.

The loud noise sounds like a champagne bottle being uncorked. There is no car vibration with the noise but sounds like something under extreme pressure is released. With the driver side window down the noise is from the rear. I think is a rear brake caliper piston getting stuck and then releases all at once back into its bore.

The dealer looked at rear brakes last week and found the pads are seating on the rotors, but didn't make and changes saying this problem is a result of me not driving the car enough. They didn't address the noise problem.
Last edited by whistlingdixie on Sun May 16, 2010 9:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

andysinnh

Re: 2008 Taurus Limited AWD with rear brake pop noise

Post by andysinnh » Mon May 10, 2010 7:39 am

I, too, had a vehicle that sat on the lot for a very long time before I took delivery. In my casse it was a 2007 Montego the dealer too delivery on in June 2006 and I bought in February 2008 - 20 months in my case - with only 140 miles on the odometer. I figure the car had a couple of test drives, but mostly moving back and forth across the lot as they did snow removal or other random things. In my case, the rear brakes were also an issue, but not so much for a pop or snapping sound, but just that the build-up of materials on the pad and rotor made the rotors get gouged real badly and the pads were out at only 9k miles. The pads/rotors were replaced by the dealer, and after about 10k miles they're still like new - so in my case that took care of the problem.

I think that the difference in your case is that you state that you use the parking brake, and I believe that's adding to your problem. Our parking brake system utilizes the normal rear disc pads, and it's possible that the parking brake cables aren't fully releasing until the car moves or you actuate the brake pedal itself, and it's releasing pretty abruptly with a pop or a loud snap -probably what you're hearing. Have you tried this without setting the parking brake when you leave the car for the long sitting periods? That'd be the first experiement to try. The other thing could be that there's enough residue on the pads and rotors that, after sitting, the pads and rotor need to release by the first movement of the wheel or the caliper pressure - could also be that.

What I'd try is a very brisk driving session, where you do some fast stops and starts and try to really heat the brakes up to start seating them in (like in a parking lot or a deserted road). Also do a lot of parking brake engagements and disengagements to start loosening the cable and return mechanisms up. Sitting for long periods is very bad for brake systems (especially parking brakes) in that they tend to like to stay in the position they are in. And having your car sit for 22 months and then for long periods at a time, they're just being reluctant to change their position! :lol:

andy
2 "Ford" and 2 "Honda" Family in NH

05 Accord LX Sedan Auto 118k miles
07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 67k miles
04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 1k miles

deletedaccount

Post by deletedaccount » Mon May 10, 2010 9:39 am

whistlingdixie wrote:I bought a new 2008 Taurus Limited AWD last year and it currently has 3800 miles on it. It was from a dealership where the summer temperture gets into the triple digits and sat on a lot for 22 months before I bought it.

A pop nosie occurs if the car is parked in the garage for 7 or more days without being moved. I place my foot on the brake, start the car, disengage parking brake, move shifter to reverse, and when I remove my foot from the brake the pop sounds.

The loud noise sounds like a champagne bottle being uncorked. There is no car vibration with the noise but sounds like something under extreme pressure is released. With the driver side window down the noise is from the rear. I think is a rear brake caliper piston getting stuck and then releases all at once back into its bore.

The dealer looked at rear brakes last week and found the pads are seating on the rotors abnormally, but didn't make and changes saying this problem is a result of me not driving the car enough. They didn't even address the noise problem.

The pad seating problem is not a condition resulting from my driving or car not being used. It is a condition of car being unsold for 22 months sitting in the hot sun. I am very easy on the car and it is always parked in the garage. I am concerned that my rear brakes rotor, caliper, etc will wear faster than normal or start leaking and could be draging more in stop and go driving. My highway MPG is good, but my city mpg is bad.

Sounds like you need to find a dealer that is competent and can repair the problem. Pretty simple problem......It did NOT do it when it was NEW, so it should NOT do it now!

Whatever is wrong, they have the parts, know how to fix it. Apparently this dealer does not have either.

Take it to another COMPETENT FLM Dealer to have it repaired.

There is NO EXCUSE for you being treated this way by a FLM dealer!

If the car is still under the warranty......they have to fix it free of charge.

ctrlraven

Post by ctrlraven » Mon May 10, 2010 11:09 am

Mine recently started making a noise from the passenger side rear brake, took it into the dealer cause I was getting an abnormal amount of brake dust on the wheel very quickly and thought the brake was dragging. Dealership confirmed the caliper was hanging up, they replaced the caliper and pads and said the rotor was fine since I hadn't driven it that much since I started noticing it.
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 LX Sport
2004 Mercury Marauder
2006 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 Amarillo edition
2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD
2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD

JhonSmith

Post by JhonSmith » Sat May 15, 2010 7:55 am

That's really fantastic post. I like it.

HID Kit

whistlingdixie

Re: 2008 Taurus with rear brake noise

Post by whistlingdixie » Sun May 16, 2010 9:57 am

I spoke to the service manager and now understand what happened. Before I park the car in the garage for seven days I wash it. That left water condensation on the rotors and then the parking brake would be on for a week. That combination caused a rear pad to stick.

In the future after the car wash, I'll drive it to dry the brake rotors or not engage the parking brake if the car will be parked for an extended length of time.

I just took a 450 mile trip and used Andy's suggestion to seat the brake pads. My mpg for this mostly open road and mountains trip was 23.5.

andysinnh

Re: 2008 Taurus with rear brake noise

Post by andysinnh » Sun May 16, 2010 10:14 pm

I learned a long time ago that after you wash the car you always drive it around to dry off the brakes and get the motor warmed up before you park it for the night. Even leaving my Hondas parked overnight without doing this would cause mulitple odd issues - and that's how I learned the "drive before parking" trick. Definitely can see how the pad could adhere itself to the rotor - and sounds plausible for sure.

Let us know how the car does with mpg's and the "clunk" noise after changing the parking behavior.

andy
2 "Ford" and 2 "Honda" Family in NH

05 Accord LX Sedan Auto 118k miles
07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 67k miles
04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 1k miles