If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Knocking under acceleration

Thejdpuller
Vehicle: 2001 Ford Taurus SES Flex

Knocking under acceleration

Post by Thejdpuller » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:51 pm

I have a 2001 Ford Taurus Ses flex fuel ohv 3.0. For the past few weeks (almost a month) it has been knocking/pinging under moderate and heavy acceleration. It literally sounds like a cold diesel engine knock. It does not happen every time, however when it does, if I back out of the accelerator even just a little it quiets down. I have drive over 150 miles a day, and have tried many different brands and grades of gas, I have tried e85 nothing seems to change it. I am 100 percent positive based on the flex fuel symbol on the car and the vin it is flex fuel. Under light acceleration, at idle or even cruising down the highway at 80mph it runs smooth no noises at all, step on it at a stop light (normal acceleration or to pass) and it literally sounds like a old cold diesel engine, it knocks rather loud, back off just a touch it quiets back out. I'm rather baffled. Spark plus have been checked, and gapped(they aren't terribly old), with new plug wires and coil pack (all motorcraft), Newer motorcraft fuel pump. No check engine lights or stored codes. Thanks in advance for your help.