If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Brake Grinding Noise

salian

Brake Grinding Noise

Post by salian » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:14 pm

I also have a 2010 Taurus with the grinding, rattling brake noise. My Taurus has been to the dealer twice, the first time they replaced the rotors etc. but the noise was back within weeks. The second time I took the car in they said they couldn't hear the noise so did not do anything. I asked him if he read the Ford Taurus forum! I love my Taurus but it sounds terrible. Does anyone know if this ongoing brake problem could ever cause a safety issue?

2010SEL

Re: Brake Grinding Noise

Post by 2010SEL » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:59 pm

So far they maintain that it's not a safety issue... but I disagree simply because when you step on the brake and it makes a horrible noise, your first reaction is to take your foot OFF the brake. It's not right, and it's not like it's a squeak in the dash somewhere. It's a major 'system' on the car.
2013 Ruby Red Escape SEL
2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Premium

STingray

Post by STingray » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:14 pm

2010SEL wrote:So far they maintain that it's not a safety issue... but I disagree simply because when you step on the brake and it makes a horrible noise, your first reaction is to take your foot OFF the brake. It's not right, and it's not like it's a squeak in the dash somewhere. It's a major 'system' on the car.
Don't forget, it's a major SAFETY system (issue). Puts things on a whole 'nother level...
Ray
2013 F150 FX4 EcoBoost
2013 Focus SE
2006 Honda ST1300A

2010SEL

Post by 2010SEL » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:11 pm

Just another little update here in the 'newest' thread...

My car has now been at the dealer since Sep 2. I called and opened a case with Customer Care on that day. Twice now the dealer has told me they were calling Ford to see if they could speed things up a bit... but nobody has called ME back. So this afternoon I called Ford again. The nice Ford guy says nobody has 'touched' that ticket since it was opened. "And, oh, by the way... it says here the mileage is 65 THOUSAND miles... not 65 HUNDRED. That may be a factor in why it's not getting any attention, and I can certainly understand why you're upset. I'll escalate it to the next level and someone will call you back withing two business days."

What?? Two business days?? It's already been 10 days on this visit alone. I suggested maybe he might want to see if he could get that escalated a little quicker... but my phone ain't ringin'...
2013 Ruby Red Escape SEL

luvmyford

Post by luvmyford » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:33 am

I decided to google brake problems in 2010 Taurus's and this is what came up...your post! This morning I was taking my kids to school and my brake pad...BROKE! This is the second time since buying my Taurus that this has happened. Bought the car in March, first time in July and now again today. First time was the drivers side and today it is the passengers side. It starts off with a soft grinding like the pads are worn, and then all of a sudden you turn a corner and you get a clunk, clunk, rattle. It sounds awfull, and is a little scary. However the brakes do still work, but clearly something has broke inside. WHen we had it towed and repaired in July, our service advisor did say that an alert had came up, and they followed the service steps which were to turn the rotor, and obviously change the brake pads. I look foward to hearing what they have to say today!

STingray

Post by STingray » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:40 pm

I would be curious to see exactly what "broke". Brake pads can (and do) chunk off pieces now and then, but they cannot break - like, in half. That's why the brakes still worked.

No doubt, it is a scary and unnerving thing to have happen. But if it happens again (hope not), rest assured you'll be able to drive to the dealer instead of having it towed. That will save you the hassle (time) of calling the tow truck.

Ask them to save the remnants of the brake parts they replace (your legal right to see them), and take a snap shot if you can.
Ray
2013 F150 FX4 EcoBoost
2013 Focus SE
2006 Honda ST1300A

Zeke

Post by Zeke » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:09 pm

My car (a 2007) has now had a noise probably associated with the brakes. Happened over the weekend. I sounded like a lug nut bouncing around inside a hubcap. I stopped a couple of times and inspected everything -- even crawled under. After rummaging around I discovered that I could flick the rotor shield (a thin metal piece about the size and shape of the rotor but on the opposite from the wheel) and get a tone similar to what I was hearing. My conclusion was that a small piece of gravel got between the shield and the rotor. Reading this, though, I wonder if it was a piece of the pad?

Just recently I had Raybestos pads installed on the rears.

2010SEL

Post by 2010SEL » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:53 pm

Update just in case anyboy still cares (or ever did!). :wink:

Dealer still has the car, since Sep 2. Every time I call Customer Care for an update it takes them 24-48 hours to get a response back from the parts coordinators. That's ridiculous, and today I asked them via Email to elevate it to whatever level it takes to find someone at Ford who can pick up a damn telephone and at least find out what the story is. This was in response to the Email I got from them that said a CC manager will contact me by 9/27, and to please be patient while they do the research. Well hell, I've BEEN patient for three weeks. The Ford machine isn't working. And I got just a little bit more fed up when it occurred to me today that they have the 'fixed' parts to put in NEW vehicles they continue to build... but we're still waiting while they manufacture the parts to fix the ones they already sold.
2013 Ruby Red Escape SEL

STingray

Post by STingray » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Of COURSE we care!.....

If you have a business license, you have another option: if you are competent at auto mechanics, do the job yourself and bill FMC. Make sure there is an indication of a 30day-to-pay policy.

I always trust my work over an under-appreciated "parts replacer" (formerly known as a mechanic). A lot less hassle than deling with the dealers sometimes.

If Ford (et al) doesn't pay, send a payment reminder after 30 days. Then send it to a collection agency. You'll get 60% of the bill. Cool, huh? :mrgreen:
Ray
2013 F150 FX4 EcoBoost
2013 Focus SE
2006 Honda ST1300A

luvmyford

Post by luvmyford » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:02 am

I will be sure to ask my husband exactly what the service advisor said "broke".
And as to driving it to a nearby Ford dealership...you have to hear for yourself the noise it makes as you are turning! With three small children in the car, and the thought of it causing more damage than has already occured it does not even cross my mind to drive it any further.

Picked my car up last night with the diagnosis: ROCKS in my wheel! WTH
we will see!

warment

Post by warment » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:08 am

My dad's Ranger recently had problems with rocks/buildup in between the rotor and shield. He had a continual high pitched squeal.

I just removed the wheel, and stuck a curved pry bar between the rotor and shield and then scraped all the way around the shield. Lots of grime fell out.

Also, a can of brake spray will remove a lot of buildup too...
2005 Ford Five Hundred SE
6-spd auto

Classiccars

Post by Classiccars » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:25 am

Is the 10-5-6 TSB the latest bulletin on this problem? It doesn't sound like much of a fix. Resurface the rotors and install new pads. I thought I heard there was a newer TSB out there dealing with this brake grinding noise problem. It may have been TSB 10-17-3. Does anyone know what the latest on fixing this problem is?
I'm not too fond on having my rotors resurfaced after 7k miles. What happens after another 7K miles went the brakes begin to pulsate because the rotors are warped and are too thin to resurface again? The dealer will say it needs new rotors and it is not covered under warranty because the brakes/rotors are a wear "Maintenance" items.
Is there a newer TSB fix out there that correctly repairs the problem by replacing the rotors, pads, and brackets with an upgraded style? If so what is the TSB # so I can have my Ford dealer do the work correctly the first time.
Thanks

Carl Boesel

Post by Carl Boesel » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:58 am

My 2010 Taurus SHO has less than 10,000 miles. After a few thousand it started with the loud brake grinding noise (from the front) on moderate to heavy braking. It became progressively louder. The dealer said there is a TSB and said something about a special grease, but that was a month ago and I've heard nothing. I want a complete fix so I will be patient, but I'll ask them again soon. I would not even mind upgrading to a better system (ceramics?). By the way, after a few hundred miles I had a loud scraping noise on turning, from the front left. The mechanic found a stone lodged behind the rotor shield and the noise went away. Other than the brake grinding noise, the car is great! I knew buying a newly revised model is risky, but I'm glad to have it now.

2010SEL

Post by 2010SEL » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:00 pm

Classiccars wrote:Is the 10-5-6 TSB the latest bulletin on this problem? It doesn't sound like much of a fix. Resurface the rotors and install new pads. I thought I heard there was a newer TSB out there dealing with this brake grinding noise problem. It may have been TSB 10-17-3. Does anyone know what the latest on fixing this problem is?...
I believe the newest TSB calls for newly manufactured rotors... and those are supposed to be making their way to the dealers now.
2013 Ruby Red Escape SEL

STingray

Post by STingray » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:05 am

First: I don't know where you guys (nd gals) are driving, but SHEESH! Rocks between the rotor and the backing plate??? I guess I should be happy to be driving on the [terrible] California roads where that's a very rare occurance.

Second: I would never let them turn a rotor on a relatively new car. Because, as mentioned, a rotor is a maintenance/wear item, which we the car owner pay to replace. Starting a rotor off .005 - .010" (or more) less meat on them will only lead to a reduced life expectancy. A replacement rotor is the only morally acceptable resolution.
Ray
2013 F150 FX4 EcoBoost
2013 Focus SE
2006 Honda ST1300A

2010SEL

Post by 2010SEL » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:07 am

STingray wrote:...Second: I would never let them turn a rotor on a relatively new car. Because, as mentioned, a rotor is a maintenance/wear item, which we the car owner pay to replace. Starting a rotor off .005 - .010" (or more) less meat on them will only lead to a reduced life expectancy. A replacement rotor is the only morally acceptable resolution.
The original TSB called for turning the rotors. Morally acceptable or not, that's what Ford was willing to do.
2013 Ruby Red Escape SEL

Zeke

Post by Zeke » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:01 am

STingray wrote:First: I don't know where you guys (nd gals) are driving, but SHEESH! Rocks between the rotor and the backing plate??? .
Around here they do light maintenance on some of the roads by spraying down a film of sticky black stuff (locally called "tar") and then applying a layer of finely crushed rock. For weeks and weeks afterward you can hear particles being thrown against the insides of the fenders.

Zeke

Post by Zeke » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:13 am

Potential for damage? If I get a rock between the rotor and the dust shield, isn't that going to score* the rotor? And possibly damage the pad?

(* The rotor is steel and the rock could be quartz.)

STingray

Post by STingray » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:31 am

2010SEL wrote:
STingray wrote:...Second: I would never let them turn a rotor on a relatively new car. Because, as mentioned, a rotor is a maintenance/wear item, which we the car owner pay to replace. Starting a rotor off .005 - .010" (or more) less meat on them will only lead to a reduced life expectancy. A replacement rotor is the only morally acceptable resolution.
The original TSB called for turning the rotors. Morally acceptable or not, that's what Ford was willing to do.
Well, me being "me", I would push...and push hard. If they still refused I would start off by explaining that as soon as I got home I would be contacting the State Bureau of Automotive Repair (under whos authority all state-licensed shops operate). If they still didn't budge, I would carry out my promise (not a threat). I guarantee that would get the response I'd want. Shops don't like the BAR getting involved.
Ray
2013 F150 FX4 EcoBoost
2013 Focus SE
2006 Honda ST1300A

STingray

Post by STingray » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:38 am

Zeke wrote:
STingray wrote:First: I don't know where you guys (nd gals) are driving, but SHEESH! Rocks between the rotor and the backing plate??? .
Around here they do light maintenance on some of the roads by spraying down a film of sticky black stuff (locally called "tar") and then applying a layer of finely crushed rock. For weeks and weeks afterward you can hear particles being thrown against the insides of the fenders.
Ah... the old "chip-seal". Hate that stuff! Seems they're not doing it anymore in California, at least in the SF Bay Area. It really makes motorcyclinig fun.... :evil:

But I'm still concerned about the rocks getting BETWEEN the rotor and backing plate. That's one of the jobs of the backing plate, is to keep junk from getting to the rotor.

And yes, even though the rotor is steel, is is suseptible to scarring by relatively "softer" rock/debris. (remember, the Grand Canyon was formed by water running over rocks...) Same principle. But the good news is, as bad as it sounds, it is not (I repeat: NOT) a situation where one could not continue driving the car safely.

Has anyone, upon hearing this aweful noise, ever experienced a loss of braking power? If the answer is "yes", it is likely because that person is pushing on the brakes more gingerly than normal rather than an actual loss of braking ability by the car.
Ray
2013 F150 FX4 EcoBoost
2013 Focus SE
2006 Honda ST1300A