If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Burnt Oil Smell?

azricky

Re: Burnt Oil Smell?

Post by azricky » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:03 pm

My 2013 SHO started producing the burnt oil smell around at about 1000 miles. The car currently has 3500 miles on it, and I experience the smell coming thru the ventilation system, and outside the car when standing still, or upon shutdown. I think I have spotted what is causing it. It looks like there is a very slow engine oil leak on the firewall / back side of the engine. The oil has left stains on the exhaust pipe where the oil has dripped and I assume caused the smell. I haven't been able to spot exactly where it is coming from yet.

Wesrich18

Re: Burnt Oil Smell?

Post by Wesrich18 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:24 pm

I bought a 2010 Taurus SHO last year. The car is in amazing condition. However last month I started getting this weird burning oil smell in the cabin. After having it checked out it was actually the seals on the PTU. According the mechanic the initial design of the seals were poor. I had new seals put on yesterday and after a few days the machinic said the smell should go away.

The PTU is located right above the exhaust. Due to the heat cycling the seals failed. The mechanic said he has had to fix a lot of these. I'm surprised Ford never issued a recall for this. If the PTU failed due to a loss of fluid the car would have locked the rear wheels. Since the PTU is right over the exhaust any leak will burn off and enter the cabin. Hopefully this terrible smell goes away now that it's fixed. Oh also this fix was $800.00.