If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

2010 SHO Trans Problems-Ford claims tires

mikeypw62

2010 SHO Trans Problems-Ford claims tires

Post by mikeypw62 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:00 pm

Hello,
New to the Forum, my son bought a used 2010 Taurus SHO in September 2013, and everything seemed fine until this weekend, when he put it into reverse and car would not move, heard a grinding sound, put it back into park, back to reverse started working, happened twice more in 2 days. Took to Ford on Wednesday, could not duplicate, told them to keep another day. Today (Day 2 ) said they can hear grinding, but claims that Ford is telling them that because the front tires are worn down more than the back, that ittis the computer trying to deal with different tire sizes due to the heavier wear on the front.

I saw somewhere else on the forum that it is the PTU that is an issue with these cars. Problem is car is at 57,100 miles, and service manager says if it happens after 60,000 that that is on us.

Anybody have any thoughts or documentation with this PTU issue?

Thanks for any help.

FordCustomerService

Re: 2010 SHO Trans Problems-Ford claims tires

Post by FordCustomerService » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:14 pm

mikeypw62 wrote:Hello,
New to the Forum, my son bought a used 2010 Taurus SHO in September 2013, and everything seemed fine until this weekend, when he put it into reverse and car would not move, heard a grinding sound, put it back into park, back to reverse started working, happened twice more in 2 days. Took to Ford on Wednesday, could not duplicate, told them to keep another day. Today (Day 2 ) said they can hear grinding, but claims that Ford is telling them that because the front tires are worn down more than the back, that ittis the computer trying to deal with different tire sizes due to the heavier wear on the front. ...
Hello mikeypw62,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service and I’d like to get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area and help get it resolved. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordServiceImage@FordTaurusImage@Ford
f: Imagefacebook.com/Ford

mikeypw62

Post by mikeypw62 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:12 pm

Thank you, have submitted details you requested.
Current status is that they are keeping the car, because we cannot afford to drive it anywhere due to closeness to warranty termination. They will try to duplicate again. They are saying it is going into AWD mode when it should not, but tech is saying it is the tire wear causing different tire speed rotations, thus the computer is compensating. Doing its job and not throwing an error, but at the same time it should not be in AWD, so do you see the circular argument we are in. However he admitted we are at the specifications threshold not past it, thus it is still within the guidelines. I should not have to spend a 1000.00 on tires to rule out an issue. Tech also reluctantly agreed it could be a failing PTU, but cannot diagnose that since it is not leaking.

Really need your help on this.

kylegss1

Post by kylegss1 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:39 pm

I have a 2010 taurus with 108 k miles having to replace ptu bc dealer put different tires on front

Avery2010SHO

Post by Avery2010SHO » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:42 pm

I will be taking in my 10' SHO next week for what sounds like the same problem. Iv had it 10 months without any issues and am rolling up on the 100k mark and just within the last 2 weeks it started as slipping feel when taking off from a corner or stop sign, then a couple days ago on the expressway when I accelerated to get around someone I noticed it at 70mph. Iv been researching the TSB's and hopefully this is something that can be corrected quickly and not too expensive..... Love this car, but the issues seem to keep adding up.
When a "hot shot" rolls up next to me at a stop light I'd prefer to keep being the one looking at their dumbfounded face in the rearview mirror, and not have to worry about what's next to go.

m98cox

Post by m98cox » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:00 pm

Avery,
The 2010 MY had a handful of TSB's that sound similar to this. Get Ford to check and report to you all the TSB's that were performed on this car. If they weren't completed, having then completed probably would solve many annoyances. If not done, and out of warranty, you might have to pick up the cost.
2010 SHO 402B, Cinnamon, black/black, ACC, 20"

The Bone

Post by The Bone » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:34 am

Since the front tires may need to be replaced just buy a new set and see if the problem is still there. The Goodyear's on my SHO were junk and I replaced them with Bridgstones. I'll never buy another Goodyear tire.