If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

05 500 limited A/C problem

Discuss anything related to the engine, electronics, transmission, etc.
aminor

05 500 limited A/C problem

Post by aminor » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:30 pm

The dual automatic A/C in my 05 500 limited FWD (80,000 miles) was not cooling. Had it recharged. Now it works great when driving (above about 1500 RPM), but does not cool when idling. With outside temp 90 degrees, car gets warm waiting for light to change. What could cause this?

Biff

Re: 05 500 limited A/C problem

Post by Biff » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:17 pm

Our 2005 500 had same issue last year or so, had it recharged, seemed ok for a week or two, took it back to dealership and had the compressor replaced, all was good after that. Understand this is a common issue, others have had this problem.
2005 500 SEL 6 Spd Leather Seats Safety Package and Rear sensors White/Pebble hood lifts
2012 Dodge Caravan
2000 Ranger XLT 4X4 5 Spd auto hood lifts

aminor

Post by aminor » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:16 pm

Thanks for your reply. I was afraid it might be a compressor problem. Any idea the cost of compressor replacement?

deletedaccount

Post by deletedaccount » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:26 am

aminor wrote:Thanks for your reply. I was afraid it might be a compressor problem. Any idea the cost of compressor replacement?
Hopefully you took it to the dealer to be diagnosed? If the dealer said all it needed was recharged and did it for you, then you need to find another dealer ASAP. He screwed you! The dealer knew darn well the Compressor was shot and still charged you for a re-charge?

Ours went out at 180,000 miles, Cost at our dealer was about $800.00.

In some areas of the country, some people like to buy discounted parts at a Auto Zone, O'Reillys, Car Quest, etc........and have someone, other than the dealer (a mechanic) put them on. Trouble with that is, especially in Texas, no one wants to do that down here. They just say NO and turn down your business. That is why I stick to going to my dealer for all repairs. Their LAME excuse is, they don't trust your parts and do not want to be blamed for faulty parts.

truckinusa

Post by truckinusa » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:40 am

I would put some gauges on it first to see if the system is still charged. It could be the compressor? Maybe the freon leaked out? It could be a switch too. Compressors can be purchased for $175 for a rebuilt or $300-$400 new.
Frisco, TX, Trucker, wannabe mechanic.

aminor

Post by aminor » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:07 am

Originally I took it to a dependable local mechanic for a recharge. He found it low on freon and recharged it. We did not know of any other problems and did not look for any. After that I noticed it did not cool when idling. Yesterday I called the mechanic and he said it could be air in the system, or a switch or cooling fan problem. He wants to evacuate the system and recharge and check computer settings, switches, etc, before giving up on the compressor. Nettysmontego said theirs went out at 180,000 miles. I have only 80,000 on mine. We do leave it turned on all the time - It automatically heats and cools and keeps the set temperature. Thanks for all the help. I was afraid a compressor installation would be closer to $1,500. $800 sounds much better than that. Is the evacuation the way to go before condemning the compressor? From the comments of truckinusa is sounds like it is.

deletedaccount

Post by deletedaccount » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:12 pm

First sign of a AC Compressor going bad is a "lack" of cooling inside the cabin. Most people, Myself included, think it may need "re-charged" and we would be on our way. But my dealer informed me that is rarely the case. That is usually the first sign of the compressor self-destructing from the inside and not being able to provide the necessary pressure to circulate the coolant throughout the system. My dealer has also said that rarely do they see a "newer" AC system just leaking, thus needing a simple re-charge or replacement of a hose or O-ring to fix a problem. Yuck!

aminor

Post by aminor » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:41 pm

Thanks. From what you said about the compressor unable to provide the necessary pressure, it makes sense to me that at a faster speed it provides enough pressure to cool while at the slower speed it does not. Only a matter of time until it lacks the pressure at any speed.

khasdorff

Post by khasdorff » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:43 pm

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but just had my 05 in to the dealership for the same problem...to replace the compressor, dryer and expansion valve will cost me $1386. plus tax. $800 plus in parts, the rest is labor. My 05 limited has 36.242 on it. Way too few miles to be replacing an A/C! Was suggested to me to contact Ford company through my dealership and ask for compensation, since I am so close to the warranty....my problem actually started in November when I was well under 35K, but who needs A/C then? This is apparently another weak link in Ford's product, so maybe I will have some success. If Ford will cover the labor, that would be great! Will let you know.
Blue Five Hundred Limited with Pebble Interior
Born date 12-3-04 Adopted 2-03-05
Previous: Volvo S70 Turbo

aminor

Post by aminor » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:58 pm

I took mine today to the mechanic that recharged it last week, the one who suggested evacuating the system. He checked it out and said the problem was not the compressor, not air in the system, but it was the speed of the cooling fans, not running fast enough. He said there are two multispeed fans that are computer controlled. They are running, but not as fast as they should, hence probably not a problem with the fans themselves. When he poured tap water on the radiator the A/C worked fine, as it does at highway speed. He did not determine a fix ( unable to check the computer) and did not charge me anything for his efforts. He suggested taking it to the dealer for them to check the computer.

jennypat

Post by jennypat » Tue May 11, 2010 1:40 pm

'07 Five Hundred w/ a/c issues as mentioned above. It is currently at the dealership having the compressor replaced. We had all the issues mentioned above,"stays cool while driving" "warms up at idle", "blowing fine". Originally took it in to have an A/C check w/ the oil change at Tires Plus. They stated it seemed to be a "restrictive issue", freon was fine and no leaks were found. Thank goodness they were honest and didn't waste time and money on a recharge. Maybe someone else on here can better explain the restrictive issue, as I don't fully understand it myself.

We do seem to be one of the lucky ones, we purchased the Ford ESP when we purchased the car even though there was significant time left on the factory warranty. Our only cost now is the $100 deductible, the ESP is even covering the rental car for the next couple of days.

If you are reading this forum and are not having the problems yet, I highly recommend purchasing the ESP now, before this happens. Per both the guys at Tires Plus and the dealership, this IS an issue with the Five Hundreds, so if it hasn't happened to your's yet, it very well may happen soon.

hvacguy

Post by hvacguy » Sun May 16, 2010 6:18 pm

You guys might find this to be intresting!
http://www.aircondition.com/tech/questions/53/

scroll down and open pdf file at bottom of page.
part available here....
http://www.techchoiceparts.com/ShowItem ... Valve.aspx

aminor

Post by aminor » Sun May 16, 2010 7:10 pm

interesting, but the article talks about GM and VW only. Does the 500 limited have one (a variable stroke compressor with a refrigerant control valve)?

hvacguy

Post by hvacguy » Sun May 16, 2010 7:15 pm

Yes, The 2nd link takes you directly to the ford 500 part. The first link was just to show that these exist. Something I just learned myself today.

wchain

Post by wchain » Mon May 17, 2010 11:30 am

I had this issue as well, and had the extended warranty.

Dealer replaced AC Compressor, Condensor, Drier and expansion valve.

Cooled great after that.
2010 SHO 400B Tuxedo Black
Five Hundred SEL AWD DSG - SOLD
FJ Cruiser 4x4
Mercedes 300SE
F250 Crew Cab Lariat V10

kellysuch

Post by kellysuch » Thu May 27, 2010 3:04 pm

I had this same issue..cooled fine going 65-70 mph and blew well, but warmed up when idle or slower speed. Compressor changed: $1500....how is this not a manuf. defect???

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh » Fri May 28, 2010 6:04 am

My dad just had the A/C compressor go out on his late 90's Town Car - had it replaced at a local garage with a reman unit and the total cost, including the evac/fill of the system, was just a tick over $600. Are the compressors on our Duratec's THAT much more expensive? Are there components other than the compressor being replaced for that cost? Strange...

andy
2 "Ford" and 2 "Honda" Family in NH

05 Accord LX Sedan Auto 118k miles
07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 67k miles
04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 1k miles

aminor

Post by aminor » Fri May 28, 2010 8:41 am

Dealer price is $400+ (my memory says $498) for compressor. The dealer will always want to change the drier and other things as well. Their labor is probably about $700.

The lowest I have found a new compressor itself online is $221.47 at rightnowautoparts.com, $276.79 at rockauto.com. Rebuilt ones are available for under $200.

I made the original post, still have not fixed the problem because it does fine while driving, even in our Florida 90+ degree weather. We do more country driving than city. Only when stopping for lights or very slow city traffic is there a problem. I am leaning toward trying the $30 valve, but that involves evacuating and recharging at $70 per hour labor, as well as the installation time itself.

I wonder what percentage of compressors are replaced when only the scroll valve is the problem.

sleeper357
Former Moderator

Post by sleeper357 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:50 pm

Knock on wood my 05 a/c is still running strong even in this Fla humidity i leave it on auto climate But I never never never start the car with the a/c on. Just something i picked up from my dad

aminor

Post by aminor » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:50 am

sleeper357 wrote:Knock on wood my 05 a/c is still running strong even in this Fla humidity i leave it on auto climate But I never never never start the car with the a/c on. Just something i picked up from my dad
Thanks for the advice to turn off while starting. Do you have the limited with the automatic dual control a/c? We have never turned it off. It automatically changes from heat to cool to fan depending on temp settings. This has the scroll variable stroke compressor which seems to be the one causing the problem. We are still driving this unfixed in central Florida (yesterday temp 94 degrees) and it does fine while moving. Now about 83,000 miles.