If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

New idea for the bad roll restrictor bushing

Discuss anything related to the engine, electronics, transmission, etc.
Edsel II

New idea for the bad roll restrictor bushing

Post by Edsel II » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:08 pm

I know a lot of us have used the Volvo bushing to replace the weak-suck roll restrictor bushing on top of the engine, as a cheap alternative to buying the Ford part for over $200.

Talking with a business associate recently. He's got a Montego, and had the same problem. He found a polyurethane body mount bushing from Energy Suspension that worked perfectly, and he says it produces less vibration inside the car than the original OEM bushing. He couldn't remember what kind of car the body mount bushing was for, but it was a good fit.

Energy is one of my clients, and my contact there remembered selling the bushing to my friend the Montego owner. He's going to find out what the bushing was and send one to me to try.

Might be another way to handle the problem!

05-Montego

Re: New idea for the bad roll restrictor bushing

Post by 05-Montego » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:37 pm

Let us know what you come up with. With about 10,000 miles on it my Volvo bushing is holding steady so far, but if it fails sometime down the road I'd be open for trying something else.

On the bushing your friend used was there any cutting/modifying required like what is required with the Volvo bushing?
2005 Mercury Montego Premier

Edsel II

Post by Edsel II » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:33 am

From what I was told, the body mount has to be trimmed a little. However, my guy at Energy said that he would send me a variety of parts to play with, to see what fits the closest.

rich4205

Post by rich4205 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:13 am

I, too, used the Volvo part on my Ford Five Hundred. Although it works, there is more noise inside the cabin than before. I would be interested in the alternative part you mentioned.

500effler

Post by 500effler » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:26 pm

I would like to know more about this when you figure out what part works. Please let us know.

Edsel II

Post by Edsel II » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:54 pm

Still waiting to receive some parts to play with...

Blaine B.

Post by Blaine B. » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:19 am

My car that I acquired last week has nearly 44,000 miles...the bushing isn't entirely toast but it does have visible cracking in it that will definitely lead to future failure.

Is the stock bushing glued or welded to the bracket in the OEM mount? All of the "fixes" I read about involve only removing the rubber from the original mount and leaving the original sleeve in the bracket, and installing the new bushing inside of the existing bushing's sleeve. This may work just fine, but in my mind doesn't satisfy me entirely as being a "permanent professional fix"

I'm probably being too anal about it....but, it's like fitting a bushing inside of a worn out bushing. Doesn't entirely sit well with me.

Edsel II

Post by Edsel II » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:08 pm

Yup. You're fitting a bushing inside a worn out bushing. the rubber material on the OEM piece is bonded to the aluminum housing, so you do have to hog out the dead rubber from the original one to fit the Volvo piece in.

Wanna get even more jury-rigged, I have a hose clamp around mine to keep it in place. If the Volvo bushing slides off to one side and touches the mounting fork that holds the bushing, it transmits enough vibration into the interior of the car to be noticable.

...and I'm still waiting to get my hands on some test pieces to work with from my client.

In any case, my Volvo bushing has been holding up for a little over 40,000 miles now. Starting to get a little crack here and there, but I bought three of 'em, so I've got a few spares.

rich4205

Post by rich4205 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:23 pm

Edsel II - that hose clamp sounds like a good idea to keep it away from the fork. I'll try that this weekend.

Blaine B.

Post by Blaine B. » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:13 am

It looks like there is a steel sleeve that is pressed into the aluminum bracket....like a normal bushing would have, say, in a control arm or elsewhere. See that slightly different colored metallic ring on the very outer diameter of the bushing?

Also you can see my mount isn't destroyed....but is well on its way at 44,000 miles.

dwcopple

Post by dwcopple » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:25 am

the Volvo 9434263U is the two piece urethane version of the bushing. Should be MUCH more stout. Mine looks like the one above at 119K. I'll probably swap to the Urethane one this spring. Around $12 shipped off fleabay.

Blaine B.

Post by Blaine B. » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:23 am

That Volvo bushing doesn't seem to be cheaper than $35 anywhere, even on eBay.

Here, you can clearly see that the engine torque bushing has a steel outer sleeve.

I thought it sounded very odd that the bushing would be integrated with the torque mount bracket. Things usually aren't made that way.

It would be best to press this entire bushing out and find something to fit the inner diameter of the mount, rather than inserting an incorrect bushing into the inside of the existing bushing's steel sleeve.

The bushing most likely looks very similar to these: It has an outer metal sleeve, and then an inner metal sleeve, where the bolt goes through. Just like any other leaf spring bushing or control arm bushing I have ever worked with.

dwcopple

Post by dwcopple » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:54 am

Blaine B. wrote:That Volvo bushing doesn't seem to be cheaper than $35 anywhere, even on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121065564863?ss ... 1438.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281051482598?ss ... 1438.l2649
need more?

Blaine B.

Post by Blaine B. » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:16 pm

Odd. I input the part number yesterday and only one listing came up for $35.xx.

Tomcat

Post by Tomcat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:20 am

I just replaced mine a few weeks ago with a part I found on Amazon for $13. The diameter fits exactly when you remove all the rubber from the old one. It does seem a little louder, but not bothersome to me.

http://www.amazon.com/URO-9434263-Engin ... B0066RUGGE

Blaine B.

Post by Blaine B. » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Does nobody have an interest in doing this fix correctly, and pressing the entire bushing and sleeve out of the bracket before installing a new bushing?

dwcopple

Post by dwcopple » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:54 am

Blaine B. wrote:Does nobody have an interest in doing this fix correctly, and pressing the entire bushing and sleeve out of the bracket before installing a new bushing?
Is there a way? Is there a proper full replacement? If so, why has it taken over 7 years to figure it out?

Tomcat

Post by Tomcat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:47 am

Blaine B. wrote:Does nobody have an interest in doing this fix correctly, and pressing the entire bushing and sleeve out of the bracket before installing a new bushing?
Any solution other than replacing with the OEM is technically geri rigged. For what it does, I'm fine with the $13 solution of removing all the rubber and pounding in the new one with a mallet.

Blaine B.

Post by Blaine B. » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:44 pm

I have no idea why it has taken 7 years, I provided photos that clearly show that this bushing is a standard bushing with a outer sleeve that is pressed into the bracket on the engine.

I would get it pressed out if my mount were destroyed, however it is not all that bad...yet....but I figured someome who needed to replace their mount immediately would take it to a machine shop to get pressed out, or press it out at home if they own a press.

Edsel II

Post by Edsel II » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Well, if Energy Suspension ever sends me some test bushings to play with, we might have our seven year old solution...

Still waiting.