If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

charging system issue

Discuss anything related to the engine, electronics, transmission, etc.
toddlepard

charging system issue

Post by toddlepard » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi guys,

I need your help. A few weeks ago, I noticed my 2006 Ford Five Hundred not starting quickly. It would growl slightly before turning over. One morning I went out, and it was dead. I had to jump it. I put a new battery in the car in April and load tests show the battery is fine. With the car running, I'm only getting 12.46 volts when hooking a multimeter up to the battery. When I turn on my high beams, fan, and rev to 2000 rpm, the volts drop. Both Advance auto and Autozone ran tests and suspected the alternator. Today, my dad and I took the alternator out (a bit tricky but we got it!) and got it tested and it tested good...output 14.5 volts. The plug/wires going into the alternator look good. The leads and cables to my battery are clean.

Does anyone have any other ideas on what is causing the problems? I've been putting a charger on my battery every few days to assure my battery is charging properly. It will start to growl when starting after a few days. No battery/charging system light has come on on the instrument panel and the light is working. I've also checked my fuses and all are fine.

Any input would be appreciated!

Tomcat

Re: charging system issue

Post by Tomcat » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:39 am

Not sure what the issue would be, but a couple thoughts:

-Would a bad regulator show up on a bench-test? My thought is that on the bench, the system voltage is zero so the regulator is putting out full voltage. You may still need to replace the alternator if the regulator is bad.

-You mentioned cables are clean. Did you also check the ground connection? I assume there is a connection to the frame and possibly corroded.

toddlepard

Post by toddlepard » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:48 pm

We asked the guy who did the bench test if a bad regulator would show up and he said yes, but he could have been wrong. As far as the ground wire to the frame, it is in good shape. There must be something happening wire-wise between the alternator and the battery that is my only guess. Thanks for your input...

kb9skw

Post by kb9skw » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:44 pm

I had the same problem with my car. It actually ran like that for about two years but the endless two mile trips to work ended up killing the battery one to many times and I just replaced the alternator with and it has not given me any issues in the year since.

Bite the bullet and just put a new one in. I don't know why it tests as good, though to be fair I did not have mine tested after I yanked it out.
2006 Five Hundred SEL, Black Exterior, Gray Leather. 6-Disk MP3, Moonroof. 3.0L V6

2008 Ford F150 XTL 4x4 SuperCab, Dark Peril Blue/Silver Two Tone, Flint Cloth. 5.4L FFV V8.

Edsel II

Post by Edsel II » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:21 pm

Toddlepard, when you say removing the alternator is tricky... how tricky? I might be looking at a bad one on my car...

Thanks!

warment

Post by warment » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:27 am

Steve H.,

How are you and your wife doing? I wanted to thank you again for providing me with the tech manual on my 2005 500. I used it to replace my RH halfshaft yesterday.
2005 Ford Five Hundred SE
6-spd auto

Steve H.

Post by Steve H. » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:02 am

We are doing fine. The 2005 SEL 500 now has 138K on it and it is running very well. I hope it stays that way. Good to here from you I hope you and your wife are doing well also.

warment

Post by warment » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:07 pm

I have 208k on mine. Still running great. Would like to at least get another 100k. Should have no problem unless I hit another deer first.
2005 Ford Five Hundred SE
6-spd auto

Darkcoby
Vehicle: 96' Ford Taurus GL 3.0

Post by Darkcoby » Sun May 28, 2017 2:57 pm

My 96 is doing the same thing and had the battery and alternator checked. All good there. But when I jump the battery and have it running for a min and then shut it off. About an hour or two goes by and it is dead again. Also my driver side door closes but the light stays on sometimes and the light for the door ajar is on too. It does not happen all the time. What else I can do?