If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

GDI Cleaning and failing ignition and exhaust components.

cyg
Vehicle: 2013 Ford PI Sedan wh EcoBoost

GDI Cleaning and failing ignition and exhaust components.

Post by cyg » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:43 am

This is a cautionary tale for purchasing PIs that have high mileage and/or high idle hours.

I bought the my 2013 Ford PI with ecoboost with ~105k miles and ~5k idle hours back in Nov of 2016, over the past few months it started reporting misfires, along with failed O2 Sensor code. After taking it to the shop at 129k miles I was advised that it needed new plugs (it still had the original ones, but they should have been replaced at 100k), new O2 sensor and and extensive GDI cleaning.

There are other places on the web (I can provide links if interested) that talk about how Ecoboost engines have direct port fuel injectors and the detergents that are in gas don't get a chance to reach and clean the air intact valves may start having some issues with carbon build up on the air intake valves starting at around 80k, but with the amount of idle hours many PIs see in the field, this may actually occur sooner. There are gasoline additives and some kits that are available to address this problem. In my case, the build up was so extensive it was recommended that the car get the BG GDI Fuel/Air Induction Service, which could only be done at a shop and requires an oil change (there is an oil additive component) and it is recommended to replace the plugs (which was needed to be done anyways) because the process often fouls the plugs.

After having it done two weeks ago, and replacing the O2 sensor myself, the car does not misfire, runs much quieter and gets slightly better mileage, but as of yesterday I am now getting a P0430 code, which probably means my catalytic converters will need to be replaced as well. Obviously I am not thrilled with this prospect, but considering both the mileage and idle hours it is not something I find unreasonable. It is possible that the GDI cleaning which expels the cleaning agents and removed carbon deposits through the exhaust may have contributed to the state of the catalytic converters as well. But in any case I would strongly recommend anyone who owns or is looking at buying high mileage/idle hours PIs to be aware of how old the spark plugs are, and possibly getting a compression test before you end up in a situation like I am in. This will affect any GDI engine, but with the abnormally high idle hours many PIs get, you can't just take the mileage into consideration.

Has anyone else experienced any problems with this?

jzkintaku
Vehicle: Police inspector sedan

Re: GDI Cleaning and failing ignition and exhaust components.

Post by jzkintaku » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:53 pm

I have experienced P0430 on my 13 non-turbo 88k PI sedan. I've put tons of additives into the fuel tank in past 4 months driving arroud 4k miles, keeping cancelling the CEL lights. Thank god, I passed the emission test just several days ago. The long idle time on the car might be the reason. The ineffective cat must be dirty instead of broken. You can remove the cat and wash it, or just like me, put a lot of additives in the tank and take patient.

cyg
Vehicle: 2013 Ford PI Sedan wh EcoBoost

Post by cyg » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:27 am

How do you wash a catalytic converter?

jzkintaku

Post by jzkintaku » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:49 am

I did not wash the cat. I dont like disassemble my car, I put kinds of additives in the tank and run highway for couple of tanks. It took me 4 months to clean the cat.(I am not a daily driver)
If you want clean it faster, There are bunches of video on Youtube about how to wash the catalytic converter.
The carbon used to be in your engine is now on the surface of the honeycomb in your catalytic converter. Take it down and wash the carbon out, I think the code will disappear.

tk42188
Vehicle: 2013 Interceptor

Post by tk42188 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:36 pm

if you guys are not aware, there is a TSB from ford on the P0430 or P0420 issue. Once they confirm the CEL, the cat can be replaced under the emissions warranty. Ford is finishing my passenger side one this week, along with a PCM reflash after the cat is installed.

Check with your local Ford service guys!

jzkintaku

Post by jzkintaku » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:02 pm

Emissions warranty covers 8 years or 80,000 miles. Unfortunately mine has 8.9k. I will ask the dealer later if they can do something free to solve the problem.

GhostRider
Vehicle: 2013 Ford Taurus Limited

Post by GhostRider » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:52 pm

Upon buying ANY car, IMMEDIATELY bring it up to speed on the manufacturers suggested maintenance intervals.
2013 Ford Taurus Limited FWD (301A Package)