If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

2014 PI sedan ecoboost exhaust.

Skipper1467
Vehicle: 2014 PI Sedan 3.5 Eco-boost AW

2014 PI sedan ecoboost exhaust.

Post by Skipper1467 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:44 am

Hey all,

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive upgrade for my exhaust system. I'm looking for a little added power with a nice (non-rice burner like) sound.

Has anyone done this?
Has anyone just went straight pipes back from the cats?

Thanks all in advance.

Chris

TerryY
Vehicle: 2013 Police Interceptor Sedan

Re: 2014 PI sedan ecoboost exhaust.

Post by TerryY » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:19 pm

My 2013 ecoboost PI is resonatorless from the factory. When I bought it the mufflers were in the trunk and there were 18" megaphones installed in their place -so total muffler delete straight pipes.
Sounded wicked at Idle and you could hear the turbos wind down in the exhaust. At full throttle going thru a tunnel my daughter who was following me home was expecting the tunnel to collapse.
Probably could have lived with it except for a band of resonance that would vibrate the entire interior of the car rather loudly.
So the stock mufflers went back on and it was too quiet.
Since then I have tried a couple of alternatives. One-mini mechanical mufflers Jones Exhaust Flowpack Muffler JFP225 had a horrible "loud vibration" at idle and I didn't bother to even take the car off the lift with them installed.
The second--Magnaflow 13255 had a blurry buzz from idle to about 2500 rpm.

Stock mufflers on again but if I had to go back the megaphones were the least bothersome except for the looks from real police cars.

As I bought it Dealer video--- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP3VOsKyDhM&t=92s

Skipper1467
Vehicle: 2014 PI Sedan 3.5 Eco-boost AW

Post by Skipper1467 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:48 pm

Thanks Terry.

I've seen videos of PI's and F-150's with straight pipes. My opinion is too loud. I've also seen some with the Flowmaster Super 10 muffler which sounds pretty good. If I went that route I need to decide if I want to go with a 2 into 1 muffler or get 2 and run it like it is now.

Another question (that's probably already been answered) is what cold air induction have you guys run on your PI's with the Ecoboost?

If someone wants to email me or PM me with a beginner's guide to Forscan I'd greatly appreciate it.

Skipper

TerryY

Post by TerryY » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:55 pm

AFE drop in filter seems to be the answer if you aren't going for bling. part # 31-10215
Lots of discussion on the SHO forums seem to indicate that results are the same or better than the "cold air induction" systems and a whole lot cheaper.

I think the exhaust sound problem is trying to get two 3 cylinder turbocharged engines to sound good in parallel. Sort of like the big block trucks with true duals with one out each side--biggest 4 banger you ever heard go by.
BMW's solution on the I8's turbocharged three cylinder" aux motor" is a sound track. Fords answer is a noisemaker in the SHO intake to make pleasant noises. But cheating the sound isn't new. My '98 Mustang Cobra convertible sounds louder/better inside than outside and it is totally stock. Put the top down and it is just "loudish". Top up and windows closed and it is all rumbly goodness.

TerryY

Post by TerryY » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:05 pm

If I were to try again with the exhaust I think my only choice would be one of these as a starting point
https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=12568

Putting it in the place where my non-existant resonator would have been might at least give a hint of 6 cylinders in each pipe rather than just 3.