If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

2014 Ford Taurus PI "De-Policing"

[email protected]
Vehicle: 2014 Ford Taurus PI

2014 Ford Taurus PI "De-Policing"

Post by [email protected] » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:51 am

Hey there folks. I recently bought a 2014 Taurus PI 3.5L naturally aspirated with 39000 miles on it. Wife's new car actually so she would like to get away from the "police" look. Several things I would like to do to accommodate my better-half.
1) I was wondering if any of yall wanted to lower just the rear suspension to level out the car's look. I have no experience with this sort of thing so any help would be very appreciated.
2) The front bumper has no lower valence. I was wondering if ones from the regular models would fit.
3) Has anyone modified their rear seats to make them less firm? I can deal with them if replacing them is the only option but I gotta ask.

Any words of advice from mods to maintenance

Soda_can_dan
Vehicle: 2015 FORD TAURUS POLICE INTCPR

Re: 2014 Ford Taurus PI "De-Policing"

Post by Soda_can_dan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:20 pm

I’m not sure about the bumper. The civilian bumpers have a different look to them. But they might swap with no issues, I don’t see why they wouldnt. As far as the rear seats, you would have to swap them out to civilian seats if you don’t like the firmness. Average used condition for a rear seat with all the hardware will run you $150 - $400 depending on condition and mileage.

Soda_can_dan
Vehicle: 2015 FORD TAURUS POLICE INTCPR

Post by Soda_can_dan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:22 pm

I’m curious about lowering the car myself. I don’t know of any lowering kits. Maybe someone on here has lowered their PI and can inform us of the process.

TerryY
Vehicle: 2013 Police Interceptor Sedan

Post by TerryY » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:08 pm

The rear seat cushions are dictated by the huge X brace under them. There are posts with pictures here. viewtopic.php?t=20019#p120482

For springs look at the Taurus SHO or SEL to see if those springs are low enough. H&R does make a lowering set for even lower than the SHO.

Attempting to see better to the rear I attempted to lower just the rear. At one half coil cut the difference is negligible and at 1 coil the spring is loose in the seats due to the travel of the suspension so softer springs rather than shorter seem to be the answer. And No I just got as used to the poor rear view as I can after putting "new" uncut PI springs back on.

[email protected]
Vehicle: 2014 Ford Taurus PI

Post by [email protected] » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:09 am

Thank you all for the info. I really appreciate it.

MiekK
Vehicle: 2013 Ford Taurus Interceptor

Post by MiekK » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:46 pm

I actually pulled them down a little with coil spring lowering clamps.

seandevero
Vehicle: 2013 Ford Police Sedan

Post by seandevero » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:20 pm

Civilian and police front bumpers are interchangeable, and you can have functioning fog lights with civilian bumper, you can google wiring instructions.
Police suspension is unique, honestly never cut or put clamps on springs, this increases a chance of failure. The police interceptor has sway bars, shocks and springs that are different than other Tauruses and to lower car you really need to change shocks and springs together in rear as the shocks on our cars add height not just the springs, and plus you have to change front suspension too, in order to have front and back suspension in sync.

MiekK
Vehicle: 2013 Ford Taurus Interceptor

Post by MiekK » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:35 am

An in service, fully equipped squad with one suspect, squats about perfect. Same as if I add 5 bags of softener salt in the trunk. If the cars weren't meant to be loaded or ride at that height, Ford engineers clearly made a mistake and forgot to consult with the forums on these interwebs.