If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Ready for the Road right front marker light

Notaleo
Vehicle: 2014 Sedan Interceptor Ecoboos

Ready for the Road right front marker light

Post by Notaleo » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:31 pm

Been awhile since I last posted. I have a 2014 Sedan Interceptor with 3.5 Ecoboost. Bought car at 7500 miles and currently at 75,000 miles.

I had the right front marker assembly go bad within the 36k mike warranty where it started to intermittently flash, go on and off. Warranty was done but would have cost approx $500 if I had to pay. Well just finished a road trip last night and the same problem is happening again, same light, same flickering issue. I panic at the thought of shelling out for this repair since warranty is up. Have seen some traffic that this is not an isolated issue with Ready for the Road package. A very dangerous issue as other traffic might think turn indicator is on and you can’t tell when it is happening while driving. Now I know why some drivers were not too happy with me on the interstate. Can’t find recall or TSB on it.
Has anyone else had this happen more than once and how did Ford handle? Not a simple fix as bumper cover needs to come off, etc. A great car otherwise
2014 Sedan Interceptor
3.5 Ecoboost

mope
Vehicle: 2013 Interceptor

Re: Ready for the Road right front marker light

Post by mope » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:42 pm

I'm not aware of seeing any other instances with this symptom.......while I cant imagine its a hardware issue in the light, you've been through it once w 70k trouble free miles so i guess I'd throw a part at it and see if it resolves the problem.

as for your repair cost anxiety, there's only two types of owners.......those with the $$$ (and sense/lack of) for dealership repairs and those who don't. if you dont have a quarter inch ratchet set and an hour and a half to do the repair, you better have a fudge ton of $$$$

mope
Vehicle: 2013 Interceptor

Post by mope » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:44 pm

did the dealership give you the original light after replacing it the first time? if not, you might have gotten played and its not hardware.

Notaleo
Vehicle: 2014 Sedan Interceptor Ecoboos

Post by Notaleo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:27 pm

Hello mope,
My apologies for the long post.
Thanks for responding although not familiar with the problem. It is an ongoing issue with the right front light/harness on cars with this Whelan/Ford package. I saw one P.D. that had 6 cars with this problem plus many others and Ford was crickets to them. This will be my 3rd replacement at relatively low miles for this LED/harness. I asked the dealer before if I could keep the part as I wanted to bench test it at home to find the harness short and perhaps keep for later use but they had to return it to Ford. They said LED does not go bad but harness does so I am sure the one they put in has the same issue as probably the next one will too. Can’t separate the package from the car as the harness is different throughout from non-equipped cars at all light sockets and to control unit in the car, sirens, thumper, as well as processor in the trunk. So I am stuck with what Ford gives me. Since they stop production on Sedan in 3 months, I am sure no engineer is working the issue. Was going to see if the utility harness was similar next. Was just hoping to see if anyone replaced one and had THAT one go bad too and how Ford responded.

Regarding your view that there are two types of owners, I have a third for you:

A person who is not a mechanic by profession but has over 40 years of self taught repairs on many different cars from BMW, Porsche, Ford, kit cars, Formula Ford race cars, boats,etc. A person with just about every tool in their garage including a lift. A person who owns 3 old police cars and other autos. A person who always does their own work from engines to bodywork to you name it and routinely helps neighbors and friends and fellow enthusiasts. A person who just spent 9 months in the hospital with cancer, lost 150lbs and is learning to walk again so yes, I can’t turn a socket at the moment and if I dropped it, would have to get someone to pick it up for me. I am on the mend but several months away from being some semblance of my former self so I have to pay the man for now on any urgent repairs. I do have anxiety paying for stuff as you said, but only because I can’t currently do it.

I did not give all this detail before as it was not important to the question but since I felt your description regarding two types of owners was lacking, wanted to add to it. I thought you should know that even old time gear heads need help now and then and that there is no shame for people out there that don’t have mechanical skills to begin with and have to pay for repairs. Not a lack of sense but a lack of exposure to repairing cars. We are only good at what we regularly do.

Sorry for the vent but I got this from you 24 hours ago and read it several times and drove 600 miles last night. In reading it again just now, I was uncomfortable by your comments about doing work on a car. Sorry if I misunderstood but this blog should be a safe place for us to ask questions, no matter how inane some might think they are and not be judged. Anyway, I do truly appreciate your comments and once I deal with the repair I will share out so everyone can learn, even if they aren’t familiar with it or have a car so equipped. This blog has been very educational for me and it is important that we are all supportive of each other and learn from each other’s challenges.

Thanks

PS For anyone who remembers my post about my PTU going bad at 25k miles, the replacement has been flawless for the last 50k miles and I still feel the dealers warranty replacement of that expensive part was not needed.
2014 Sedan Interceptor
3.5 Ecoboost