If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Trunk Water Feature

Jake_Blues
Vehicle: 2013 Police Interceptor Sedan

Trunk Water Feature

Post by Jake_Blues » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:59 pm

Anyone else have a little pool under their spare tire after a hard rain?

My 2013 PI develops a water feature after every hard rain and I have to remove the spare and take the little rubber plug out of the trunk floor well to drain it.

My guess is that in hard rains, water travels down the channels on either side of the trunk down to the rubber gaskets on either side and into the taillight assembly someplace and before finally draining down into the spare tire well...

i guess i'll figure this out at some point when i strip out the trunk to put in the back up camera, trunk liner and sound deadening material...

billross
Vehicle: 2013 Taurus Police Interceptor

Re: Trunk Water Feature

Post by billross » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:08 am

Yes I had this same problem when I got my car from auction. You're right, when it rains, lots of water runs down from the roof and back glass down either side of the trunk into both tail light areas. The brake/tail light wires run out of the trunk through rubber caps and into the tail light assemblies in that area. Apparently when they put strobes or whatever in the tail light assemblies in my car, they punctured extra holes into the rubber caps for the extra wires. Then before they put my car for sale, they removed the strobes and the extra wires but didn't seal the extra holes in the rubber caps. When it rains, literally gallons of water from the roof and back glass flood right over those two rubber caps. The extra holes in the caps let some of the water into the trunk. I put a liberal coating of silicone caulk over those holes and it fixed the leak. My trunk well stays dry as a bone now. Looking at the PI sedans at auctions, I see about 2 or 3 out of 10 have standing water in the spare tire well, so this is a common thing.

Also, the "Ford" emblem on the trunk lid and the chrome strip on either side of it is held in place by clips that pop into holes in the trunk lid. I suspected that water was seeping through those holes too. I pulled that emblem assembly off, put silicone around the trunk lid holes, and reinstalled the assembly. Water getting into there will rust the bottom edge of the trunk lid.
-Bill
Daily Driver: 2013 Taurus Police Interceptor, Smokestone, All-wheel drive, 44,000 miles, 1,500 idle hours.
2nd Daily Driver: 2007 Crown Vic P71, Smokestone Metallic, SAP, 101,000 miles, 330 idle hours.
Weekend Driver: 2014 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Ruby Red Metallic, Stripe Delete, SVT Performance Pkg.