If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

2015 FPIS: Trunk button not working & Fuel gauge not correct

andynumbers
Vehicle: 2015 FPIS 3.7 AWD

2015 FPIS: Trunk button not working & Fuel gauge not correct

Post by andynumbers » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:23 am

Hi all,

Picked up a 2015 FPIS last month. Was a former patrol car from Richland County, SC Sheriff's department.

Have an odd issue I can't find anything about when searching around. Quite simply: the trunk release button on the dashboard doesn't work. I have keyless entry, and the trunk button on my keyfob works perfectly. Just the one on the dash doesn't do anything. Anybody have any ideas?

Another issue is that the fuel gauge on the cluster is not accurate at all. It doesn't go past halfway on a full tank. Reading DTCs from Forscan gives me something along the lines of a "Fuel Sensor B" problem. I don't have the full code on me at the moment, but I can get it later. Would this be an issue with the sending unit in the gas tank? I plan to run a couple of bottles of Techron fuel system cleaner through it, but haven't had a chance to do this yet as I am not driving it that often right now.

Thanks!

mope
Vehicle: 2013 Interceptor

Re: 2015 FPIS: Trunk button not working & Fuel gauge not correct

Post by mope » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:37 am

Many depts disconnect the plug behind the trunk push button release. Mine was also. You'll need to do a little disassembly and plug in the button.

Don't know if the idea was it's in a spot too easily to accidentally hit or that LEOs might have additional weaponry in the trunk that should be accessible by key only, but we've seen it a number of times.

Sorry, no help on the fuel issue.

andynumbers

Post by andynumbers » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:52 am

Unfortunately the button is already plugged in. Already tried that when I added my aux audio input. Is it possible that they could have cut the wiring harness somewhere down the line? If so, I guess I won't bother trying to locate and fix it. I'll just live with that button not working.

andynumbers

Post by andynumbers » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:34 am

Just to follow up on this: I pulled the codes from FORscan and I'm getting the following:

P2068 - Fuel Level Sensor B Circuit High (PCM module)
P1346 - Fuel Level Sensor B Circuit Open (IPC module)

I found a repair manual for the Ford Flex after searching around online that covers these codes.
http://www.nicksmustangranch.com/Servic ... .htm#PS2-C

In the end I'm probably going to have a shop look at it. I put a bottle of Techron in and it didn't fix the problem.

VCFP153
Vehicle: 2017 PIS

Post by VCFP153 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:23 pm

andynumbers wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:52 am
Unfortunately the button is already plugged in. Already tried that when I added my aux audio input. Is it possible that they could have cut the wiring harness somewhere down the line? If so, I guess I won't bother trying to locate and fix it. I'll just live with that button not working.
On mine the button only works with the ignition on (unlike civilian models). Of course it also has TWO buttons, the second one being between the reading lights.

andynumbers

Post by andynumbers » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:52 am

I've been reading up on the modifiers' guide and the option to make the trunk button work only when the ignition is on is a connector located in the trunk. If it is unplugged you cannot use the button while the ignition is off. My button doesn't work either way, so I dunno. It's possible they could have relocated the button wiring to the center console stack for a police console.

Big_Eddy
Vehicle: 2015 Interceptor

Post by Big_Eddy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:28 pm

Tell us more about changing modes. Mine only works with ignition. I want it to work when pressed. I have the modifiers guide for my 2015. What section please.
The manual say see the dealer :)

andynumbers

Post by andynumbers » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:47 am

From the 2013 modifier's guide section 2-20:
Sedan - Luggage Compartment Lid Release Switch
The sedan vehicle trunk lid is configured to open under battery power as shipped from the factory.To have the trunk open with ignition power:•Locate a grey connector with a single orange/green wire in the bottom of the trunk on driver’sside between the tail light and rear power access point.•Disconnect the connector.•Tape back the connector ends to their respective harnesses and seal the ends.•The trunk lid will release under ignition power

Big_Eddy

Post by Big_Eddy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:17 am

Thank you. I will be poking around in my trunk later today.

andynumbers

Post by andynumbers » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:02 am

Update on this:

Apparently my trunk button does work, but only under ignition like everyone else's. Whoops, I actually forgot to try that until just now.

Also, to follow up on my last post about the plug in the back for disabling the trunk button under battery: apparently this only applies to the 2013 model. The 2015 does not have this plug at all. I've looked for it and the newer modifiers' guide makes no mention of it at all. I'm guessing Ford probably interviewed a lot of cops and just decided to completely remove the option in later models since most cops disable the trunk button anyway.

Big_Eddy

Post by Big_Eddy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:21 am

My owners manual specifically states that the setting can be changed by a dealer. I was thinking it might be changeable using Forescan or ? Is not on the current list of fields in the table. If you figure it out, please post.

andynumbers

Post by andynumbers » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:28 am

It's not a configurable option in FORscan from what I have seen. I've gone through all of the available options and nothing is there.

FWIW, I was able to find an "orange/green" wire in my trunk next to the rear power access, but it's on a different connector with several other wires. It's not the removable single wire circuit that the 2013 mentions.

At this point I'm done with messing with my trunk button. It is functional, so if I want to use it I will just have to get into the habit of pressing it under ignition, or using my keyfob instead.

Big_Eddy

Post by Big_Eddy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:31 am

2015 Upfitter Guide, Section 2, page 23

Sedan - Luggage Compartment Lid Release Switch
The new standard configuration is effective with all job 1 orders
• Sedan Interceptors are shipped from the assembly plant with trunk release activated on Run/Start power.
• Converting to activate trunk release on Battery power, hot all the time, requires Integrated Diagnostic Service (IDS) tool to enable this function.

andynumbers

Post by andynumbers » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:17 pm

Fair enough, but it probably requires a change in FORscan "AS BUILT" configuration, which good luck finding the right hex code to enable it. Don't brick your car over a small thing.