If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

New to me 2014 Taurus PI. What should I watch out for?

emilbus4390116

Re: New to me 2014 Taurus PI. What should I watch out for?

Post by emilbus4390116 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:34 pm

Lpowilliams wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:33 pm
Welcome! You will love it. Wait until you find pursuit mode! Lol. And if you dont already know take a look under your backseat. also learn about forscan. You can add all kinds of features. And look forward to seeing the photos of it.
What will I find under the back seat? FYI: I'm planning on buying a 2013 FPIS next week but the suspense is killing me.

tsuggs124
Vehicle: 2014 Ford Taurus PI 3.7 AWD

Post by tsuggs124 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:52 am

My local credit union has the car valued at $9,900. I talked them down to slightly less than that. So not sure why people are complaining about the cost. I do not feel as though I over paid but then again I am new to the used P.I. world. I have all the fleet maintenance records and an inspection sheet the dealer provided when they purchased it (for whatever that's worth).

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:38 pm

tsuggs124 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:52 am
My local credit union has the car valued at $9,900. I talked them down to slightly less than that. So not sure why people are complaining about the cost. I do not feel as though I over paid but then again I am new to the used P.I. world. I have all the fleet maintenance records and an inspection sheet the dealer provided when they purchased it (for whatever that's worth).
Well, I'll be selling a 2016 soon with only 600 miles for just a couple thou more.

tsuggs124

Post by tsuggs124 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:52 pm

atikovi wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:38 pm
tsuggs124 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:52 am
Well, I'll be selling a 2016 soon with only 600 miles for just a couple thou more.
That's awesome. Unfortunately in my case I had strict time constraints so I really did not have much time to hunt around for the best possible deal or go out to actual auto auctions. Friend of mine mentioned Chicago Motors to me years ago and they were close enough for me to work with. I'm sure given enough time I would have been able to find a better deal than what I got. Shoot, had I known your car was on the market with that kind of mileage I might have jumped on yours!

Big_Eddy
Vehicle: 2015 Interceptor

Post by Big_Eddy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:50 pm

Check all the front lower control arm bushings for play or replace the arms at about $80 each. They are a well known item to go.
Find out if the back door handles and locks work and have the dealer fix them if they don't.

I drive everyday in Ontario with a Pi badge on the rear. I wave at passing police and they wave back.

You will be surprised at how other motorists behave around you. Sometimes it is comical. We should almost start a thread.

tsuggs124

Post by tsuggs124 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:04 pm

Big_Eddy wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:50 pm
Check all the front lower control arm bushings for play or replace the arms at about $80 each. They are a well known item to go.
Find out if the back door handles and locks work and have the dealer fix them if they don't.

I drive everyday in Ontario with a Pi badge on the rear. I wave at passing police and they wave back.

You will be surprised at how other motorists behave around you. Sometimes it is comical. We should almost start a thread.
Thanks for the input. My PI definitely has a slight clunk going over hard bumps, I already assumed it's the driver's side control arm/ball joint. Nothing I can't take care of. I do already enjoy the reactions I get when someone slows down only to notice me (clearly not a cop) in the driver's seat. Some look relieved, others just scowl lol.

mymangochutney
Vehicle: Taurus FPIS 2013

Post by mymangochutney » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:15 pm

Big_Eddy wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:50 pm

Really? I'm in Ontario as well and people drive just as fudge as when I'm driving any other car. I did have an OPP guy follow me for a while once so not sure if everyone is as accepting :/

Badbrad10
Vehicle: 2014 police interceptor

Post by Badbrad10 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:59 pm

IMG_9604.PNG
IMG_9604.PNG (879.01 KiB) Viewed 892 times
I bought a 2014 3.7 AWD non turbo with 184,000 Kms
(115,000 miles) and in Dec 2018 from a Govt of Canada on line silent bid auction for $ 2,222.25 plus tax = $2,555.60. (1,925.00 USD). It had a check engine light for o2 sensor, new RSA tires, runs awesome. These sell for 1500.00-5500.00 can. All day long. Won the Bid few days before Christmas expecting low interest. It worked out. I added factory console from e bay and 4 Ford plastic wheel covers. Few antenna holes in roof. The rest was very good. Only put on about 5,000 Kms (3,000 miles)
Good gas mileage. Replaced my police 99 Lumina 9c3 with 3800 engine.

VCFP153
Vehicle: 2017 PIS

Post by VCFP153 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:38 pm

atikovi wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:07 pm
What would happen if I drove mine to Canada with grille lights, deck lights, side and mirror strobes, spot light, antenna, etc.?
They would force Tim Horton's awful coffee down your throat with a fire hose, eh...

detkay
Vehicle: 14 FPIS • 16 FPIU • 17 TAH. PP

Post by detkay » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:53 pm

Lmao, no lol. But if you’re driving your cruiser from US to Canada, I would be too interested in what the CBSA border officers to the federal RCMP would think 😂 But with other police agencies in Canada, depending where you’re going, it’s a hit and miss honestly. I did drive mine up a few times, only got pulled over once. Explained I was a firefighter and got into a conversation, it was a friendly interaction! As for my lighting, it was disabled so it doesn’t turn on while I’m driving up there. Very useful if you get pulled and they attempt to press any of your emergency lighting to see what colours you have. With ambers, you may get away with it, but every other colours is a no no, apparently they regulate the law colours. Again, depends on which city/province you visit.
Current: '14 Ford PI Sedan TT EcoBoost • '16 Ford PI Utility TT EcoBoost • '17 Chevy Tahoe Pursuit
Previously Owned: '11 Ford CVPI • '14 Ford F150 Platinum • '16 Dodge Charger Police Package

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:16 pm

detkay wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:53 pm
As for my lighting, it was disabled so it doesn’t turn on while I’m driving up there. Very useful if you get pulled and they attempt to press any of your emergency lighting to see what colours you have. With ambers, you may get away with it, but every other colours is a no no, apparently they regulate the law colours. Again, depends on which city/province you visit.
So this might be a problem if I got pulled over? https://youtu.be/mpmP7yG11cI

detkay

Post by detkay » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:26 pm

Just add a kill switch, and you're fine! I added a inline breaker between the power line of your emergency equipment (mine is from the cencom to the rear power point, added additional inline breaker with extended power line) to the console where it's hidden but accessible, so just flip the breaker, all the emergency lighting is disabled until you switch the in-line breaker back on. Thats exactly what all the law enforcement agencies in Canada, as far as I know, use that; works very good when you take your car in for service (oil change and whatnot) so the tech guys don't fool around with your lights. I have my setup this way too, another inline breaker in the trunk, when it goes in for service (vehicle still under dealership warranty).

--Might I add, that silver FPIS is rare in my area, its looks good.
Current: '14 Ford PI Sedan TT EcoBoost • '16 Ford PI Utility TT EcoBoost • '17 Chevy Tahoe Pursuit
Previously Owned: '11 Ford CVPI • '14 Ford F150 Platinum • '16 Dodge Charger Police Package

mymangochutney
Vehicle: Taurus FPIS 2013

Post by mymangochutney » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:30 pm

atikovi wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:07 pm
Faldo wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:34 am
I did note that the Police interceptor badge is on the trunk lid so you should check to make sure your local POPO's don't have an issue with the trunk badge.
What would happen if I drove mine to Canada with grille lights, deck lights, side and mirror strobes, spot light, antenna, etc.?
detkay wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:53 pm
Lmao, no lol. But if you’re driving your cruiser from US to Canada, I would be too interested in what the CBSA border officers to the federal RCMP would think 😂 But with other police agencies in Canada, depending where you’re going, it’s a hit and miss honestly. I did drive mine up a few times, only got pulled over once. Explained I was a firefighter and got into a conversation, it was a friendly interaction! As for my lighting, it was disabled so it doesn’t turn on while I’m driving up there. Very useful if you get pulled and they attempt to press any of your emergency lighting to see what colours you have. With ambers, you may get away with it, but every other colours is a no no, apparently they regulate the law colours. Again, depends on which city/province you visit.

Did it a while ago in a CVPI, no issues. I think the Canada side laughed which is rare since they're pretty hardass most of the time.

I don't have lights though but still had some antennas left on

detkay

Post by detkay » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:41 pm

Things change overtime, always new generation of police officers coming in, most of them are nice about it. Antennas wouldn't get you in trouble, but the PB and lighting will definitely turn heads.

Besides, if you're in a CVPI, they wouldn't care. 90-95% of all agencies in Canada have already phased out the CVPIs, it'll be rare to find one that's still on active service.

Lpowilliams
Vehicle: 2013 Taurus PI AWD 3.5

Post by Lpowilliams » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:05 pm

Here in US they are phasing out as well. I still get looks do to having the antennas and full push and pitbars. But most of the cops in the areas i travel know me because of my job. I wouldnt dare put any strobes on my car it would be asking for trouble.