If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

2005 Mercury Montego- Switch rear tail light to Ford 500

Discuss anything else about the car
estewesto
Vehicle: 2005 Mercury Montego

2005 Mercury Montego- Switch rear tail light to Ford 500

Post by estewesto » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:20 am

I have a 2005 Mercury Montego and the LEDs on the right rear tail light have quit working. It's now at least 550.00 on ebay for a new light and very hard to find a used right hand taillight.

I bought a new Ford 500 tail light and a Ford 500 wiring harness for about 120.00 thinking my problems would be solved. Everything works now except the brake light doesn't light when you push the brake. The double filament bulb works because the emergency flasher flashes which is also the filament for the brake. I know it's not the new harness because I switched it out and there is no change. Does anyone with any experience know what I need to do to get the brake light to work? Do I need to switch around a wire?
Steve

mellom986

Re: 2005 Mercury Montego- Switch rear tail light to Ford 500

Post by mellom986 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:48 pm

I am having this same issue, did you find a solution? thanks matt

Montego7

Post by Montego7 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:54 pm

Hello guys I have a 2005 Mercury Montego with both LED Tail lights out. (drove it for over a year with one out now lost the other) I stopped by the local salvage yard today and picked up a set of Ford Five Hundred bulb type Tail lights they fit perfectly and plug right in but the brake lights do not work. Looks like the Five Hundred assembly pigtail only utilizes 4 wires and the Montego LED pigtail uses 5 wires. The main wiring harness from both the Montego and Five Hundred connector appears to be identical with the same color wires in the same spot on that connector. I saw a online post where it was mentioned to move the #5 wire to #2 position on the Five Hundred tail light pigtail (he was using an 08 sable tail light assy). Wondering if anyone has tried that on a 500 assy and it actually worked? I may try it tomorrow just to see as I cannot imagine it hurting anything? Just 12 volts on a fused circuit correct? I am looking for a tail light wiring diagram for the Montego and 500 so i can compare but no luck so far.

mmsstar
Vehicle: 2011 Flex SE

Post by mmsstar » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:59 pm

Try BBBindustries

Montego7

Post by Montego7 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:34 am

For people wanting to do this Ford Five hundred "bulb type" tail light swap into a Montego LED system. The Montego utilizes a separate wire for brakes and turn signals that is the reason for the 5 wires on the Mercury LED light pigtail. The 500 tail light assembly uses one wire for both turn and brake lights so has a 4 wire pigtail.
To make it work install one Curt manufacturing CUR58240 Tail light converter 3 to 2 wire (non powered) "or equal" on each side. I bought these for less than 10 bucks each on the walmart website.
I simply cut the brake and turn wires off before the female connector and cut the brake/turn combined wire on the outlet of the male connector and wired the converter between took like 10 minutes each side.
WIRE COLOR REFERENCE FOR YOUR USE:
Ground wire is solid Black on both sides of the vehicle.
Brake wire is Tan/light blue on both sides of the vehicle
Turn Signal - Drivers side =White/red Pass side =gray/light blue
Parking lights wire is Brown/white on both sides of the vehicle
Reverse/Backup light wire is White/yellow on both sides of the vehicle
Keep in mind you are not using all the converter wires 2 wires IN (brake + turn) and 1 OUT (brake and turn combined) for each side. I just cut off the unused in and out wire flush to each end of the converter module. Just buy 2 converters and use one for each side no need to run wires all over your trunk space to save 9 bones.
Overall I have spent 72 dollars for the 500 tail lights from a salvage yard and 26 dollars including shipping on the 2 converters. So for less than 100 bucks and a couple of hours of effort you can forever do away with those outrageously expensive LED tail lights. Ford WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? Good luck guys and happy motoring.

Montego7

Post by Montego7 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:56 pm

OK I had a problem with the 3 to 2 wire converters. They make it work (Kind Of) but the incandescent bulbs were dim and if you hit the brake while the turn signal was on the blinker started a fast blink. NOT ACCEPTABLE. I went back to the salvage yard and found a 2005 Ford 500 that had identical options package as my Montego (dual climate etc) i pulled the SJB and put it in my Montego. All Exterior lighting etc is controlled by this box. I am sure if a person had a Ford scan tool that he could probably reprogram your existing one but why fool with it the SJB is an easy swap and cheap at the salvage yard. Everything worked perfectly except that I had to spend about 2 minutes to reprogram the remote key fobs by doing the key switch on and off 8 times and then hitting any button on the key fob. I really liked the cool LEDs but man who in their right mind would pay 700 per side for new tail lights for a $200.00 car LOL

Montego7

Post by Montego7 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:01 pm

Note: I reiterate the SJB worked perfectly when plugged in NO Dealer programming required. The secret is to find a 500 with your exact options package to pull the SJB out of. Also make sure to check all fuses on the donor unit sometimes they can get blown in a crash (like a vehicle in a junk yard LOL) I swapped all my fuses from mine over to the donor unit just to make sure I was good. (after I took multiple pics)