If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

What struts for 2005 Five Hundred

Discuss anything else about the car
JJ

Re: What struts for 2005 Five Hundred

Post by JJ » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:57 pm

I have some nice bruises on my arms now too...
I bet. When I worked as an automotive technician, injuries where a part of the occupational hazards. Now I feel the pain. :(
N.Y.S. Certified Auto Technician. I am retired from the automotive field. 2005 FORD Fivehundred SE 6 speed auto FWD Traction control. Build date: 11/16/2004. G-Tech tested 0-60MPH 8.34 1/4 mile 16.38 @85.9MPH.

warment

Post by warment » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:47 am

I received a response yesterday from Monroe about my query. They said that "tough econmoc times caused them to have only one part number for the rear struts." Unbelievable...

Anyways, I haven't had any problems (clunks) since I installed all 4 Monroe struts. Ride is slightly more firm now, and the car handles a lot better. I am gonna install my new front right end link this weekend if I get time.
2005 Ford Five Hundred SE
6-spd auto

JJ

Post by JJ » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:43 am

I received a response yesterday from Monroe about my query. They said that "tough econmoc times caused them to have only one part number for the rear struts." Unbelievable...
:shock: That is unbelievable.
N.Y.S. Certified Auto Technician. I am retired from the automotive field. 2005 FORD Fivehundred SE 6 speed auto FWD Traction control. Build date: 11/16/2004. G-Tech tested 0-60MPH 8.34 1/4 mile 16.38 @85.9MPH.

warment

Post by warment » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:13 pm

Installed my new MOOG front right end link over the weekend. The bottom joint (that connects to the sway bar) on the stock front right end link was very, very easy to turn by hand. The top was not. The bottom joint was completely worn out.

I noticed that I have a hole in my fron right cv boot (the inner one), as I have grease that was slung everywhere. I think I cause the hole/rip when I installed the front right strut. I think I am gonna just run it like it is until warm weather comes.

Has anyone replaced a CV boot on their 500 yet?
6-spd auto

Edsel II

Post by Edsel II » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:14 pm

Warment, I don't know if I'd ignore a torn boot - all you need is for some dirt and moisture to get in there, and chew up your CV joint - then you'll be replacing that as well as the boot. Not sure if they're still around, or if they're even available for the 500, but you might be able to get one of those "split boot" types, that go around the CV joint and screw together at the high 'accordion' points - at least as a temporary fix until better weather. I've used them on several cars in the past and they've held up well.

warment

Post by warment » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:34 am

Thanks for the response. From what I can tell, I really just have a pinhole sized hole in the boot. Of course, even a small hole allows all of the grease to sling out. Don't think the hole is big enough to let much dirt in though. I would like to fix the problem, as having grease everywhere really bothers me, but it is too cold in VA to be working on it. I am hoping that I can wait until the weather warms up some before I tackle it. I'll take a look at the multi-piece repair kits that you mentioned. Rockauto sells a new boot for $60.
6-spd auto

JJ

Post by JJ » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:23 am

warment wrote:Installed my new MOOG front right end link over the weekend. The bottom joint (that connects to the sway bar) on the stock front right end link was very, very easy to turn by hand. The top was not. The bottom joint was completely worn out.

I noticed that I have a hole in my fron right cv boot (the inner one), as I have grease that was slung everywhere. I think I cause the hole/rip when I installed the front right strut. I think I am gonna just run it like it is until warm weather comes.

Has anyone replaced a CV boot on their 500 yet?
You are going to wipeout the CV joint quickly if you don't fix the boot.

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:19 am

Years ago I nicked the CV boot on the old Saab we had for the kids to use. The car was on its last legs, so I didn't want to undertake the task of replacing the boot. I happened to have some gray silicone gasket sealer in the tool box, and figured it wouldn't be any worse than doing nothing at all. So I let the car sit in the garage and warm up (happened in the winter - go figure...), took a rag and sprayed brake cleaner on it and wiped the area of the boot clean to get rid of any dirt and residual grease, and let it dry. Then put a healthy dose of the gasket sealer on the hole and surrounding area and let it dry overnight. Let the kids use it the next day and checked a week later. It was holding like a champ. Ended up keeping the car for another year before we got rid of it - and that sealer on the boot was still in place - amazing giving all the flexing that happens in that area.

Quick fix - did the job - and buys you the time you need before the permanent repair while letting the joint stay lubed and clean/uncontaminated from water/dirt.

andy
2 "Ford" and 2 "Honda" Family in NH

05 Accord LX Sedan Auto 118k miles
07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 67k miles
04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 1k miles

Tomcat

Post by Tomcat » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:53 pm

I plan on replacing the passenger sway bar link in the next few days. The new one has a zerk fitting so hopefully it will hold up better than the original. Anyways, does anyone know how much tension are on these when you try to remove it (that is, how much weight of the car is being held up by the sway bar link). I'm assuming that if both front wheel are off the ground, and there is equal weight distribution (no weight since both wheels will be hanging in the air), the old one should come out fairly easily. I'm trying to avoid the situation where the old one pops out due to the tension and difficult to install the new one. Or am I just over-thinking this.

deletedaccount

Post by deletedaccount » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:26 pm

warment wrote:Do you guys have any suggestions on what struts to buy for a 2005 Ford Five Hundred SE FWD? I see that RockAuto sells Motorcraft and Sachs (Super Touring) for the front. It looks like they only sell Motorcraft for the rears.

For the Sachs fronts, they have 2 different lefts (312482, 312481) and 2 different rights (312484, 312483). So which combo should I buy if I go with Sachs?
Isn't Rock auto suppose to be one of those stores that sells what you want? I guess if they don't sell a matching set of four struts/shocks for your vehicle, they aren't worth trying.

warment

Post by warment » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:22 am

Tomcat,

Removal and installation isn't bad at all. All you need to get the new link back in place is a good prybar or long flat head screwdriver.

Bill
6-spd auto

Tomcat

Post by Tomcat » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:35 pm

Just put in the sway bar link this afternoon and clunking noise gone (much easier than I expected). Thanks for the info. I wish I would have order the part for the other side while I was at it.

warment

Post by warment » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:45 am

Cool. I went ahead and did both fronts while I was in there. I also ordered a new rear pair but I haven't been able to find the time to install them yet.
6-spd auto

Tomcat

Post by Tomcat » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:19 pm

Just put new front struts on (KYBs). Not a bad job if you have air tools. The hardest part is getting the old strut out. The wheel knuckle goes down about 1-2 inches less than it needs to get the old strut out and new one in. The solution is to lower the sub-frame down to get the necessary clearance. Suspensino feels much tigher and quieter with new struts. Next month, I plan to do rears.

graysonbowen24

Post by graysonbowen24 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:52 am

todd wrote:The two different part numbers would be for FWD versus AWD.
The AWD suspension is approximately 1 inch higher.

If they don't specify the difference on the site, you should probably call them to be sure you order the correct set.

FWD rear struts are 'normal'.
AWD rear struts are Nivomat self-adjusting struts. About $300 per strut.
This might be an ignorant question but are the fwd and awd struts and springs interchangeable on the five hundreds? I have a fwd and plan on replacing the struts and i like the idea of it sitting an inch taller like the awd models do.

frankparisi

Post by frankparisi » Wed May 06, 2015 10:53 pm

Probably not helpful, but I heard that the 08-09 coil springs have 10% more travel?
Carm

2007 Montego, Luxury, FWD, 73K, "White Walrus"
2000 Taurus Wagon SE 24v, 141K, SHO wheels, KYB susp. "Supersport Wagon"

Pjh9291
Vehicle: 2006 ford five hundred se

Post by Pjh9291 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:20 am

Any ideas on this? I want to do the exact same to mine but haven't found anything on it.

graysonbowen24 wrote:

If they don't specify the difference on the site, you should probably call them to be sure you order the correct set.

This might be an ignorant question but are the fwd and awd struts and springs interchangeable on the five hundreds? I have a fwd and plan on replacing the struts and i like the idea of it sitting an inch taller like the awd models do.

Deckard_Cain

Post by Deckard_Cain » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:42 pm

Pjh9291 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:20 am
Any ideas on this? I want to do the exact same to mine but haven't found anything on it.

graysonbowen24 wrote:

I know it's years later, but perhaps the forum software will email the OP, and perhaps someone else google searching will see this and it will help...

What is referred to as "struts" in previous posts, they actually mean shocks for the rear. The rear is a coilover shock design. The shocks themselves WILL interchange.. the gotcha is that if you are AWD and dont' want to spend $300+ for new Nivomats, you can use non-Novomat AWD rear shocks, but must also use the matching springs (which are OE discontinued, so aftermarket is only option). This is because the Nivomats help hold up the vehicle, so the springs that go with them are not as strong- don't need to be).

Now... will the AWD rear shocks (either Nivomat or not) fit the rear of a FWD car? not sure... if they mount the same, then yes. BUT, using heavier spring rate springs with the shocks may result in a very firm, uncomfortable ride.

It may be better to just put an extra spring isolator under or on top of the coil spring to boost body height.