If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

2006 Ford 500 CVT Trans AWD Limited

linglewoman

2006 Ford 500 CVT Trans AWD Limited

Post by linglewoman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:34 pm

I need to know if any other owners are having tire & alignment problems?? I took off the junk tires Ford provided that was really horrible with very loud road noises. I replaced with the best Michelin tires I could get. I've owned the car since new. I've had three wheel alignments on the car. The new tires are wearing bad just like the original junkie ones Ford put on there. I've always had the tires rotated as scheduled and car maintained as mfg suggested. I'm even one who avoids all potholes, crawl over railroad tracks etc. etc.
I'm just curious how other Ford AWD 500 owners are doing with their tires & wheel alignments?

deletedaccount

Re: 2006 Ford 500 CVT Trans AWD Limited

Post by deletedaccount » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:16 pm

Did you buy this car used? If so, do you know the history of the car? Has it ever been wrecked in the front?

Do you have the tires balanced also? If not? You should have them balanced and rotated every 7500 miles.

Most Ford dealers do not have balancing machines, so they only rotate and align.

Balancing does help the tire wear. As your tire wears down....it affects the balance of the tire, so they should be balanced.

How many miles on the car? There could possibly be a bad part on the front end?

Has all of that been checked.

I have seen brand new cars coming off the car & rail haulers with messed up front ends because of how they were secured to the hauler or rail car. It's rare...but it does happen.

Some on here say the Michelin Primacy is a pretty quiet tire for this car....But.....This car no matter what tire is on it, is not that quiet on the road.

Compared to other vehicles including my 2001 F150....I have more road noise from our Montego coming into the interior than my F150.

linglewoman

Post by linglewoman » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:49 am

Thanks.
Again, I bought the car brand new. It has almost 50,000. miles. Never wrecked. It does feel like something is lose in the front end but I had Ford check it twice but they say everything is fine?
I have always assumed that they balance the tires when they put them on. Can they go out of balance??

kmohr3

Post by kmohr3 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:56 am

What symptoms are you noticing from the front end, other than the tire wear? Steering wheel shimmy? noise? clunking? play in steering? Also, by any chance, do you have a before and after printout of the alignment specs? Some shops will give you that, if you ask.

There is also a TSB out that suggests a possible negative camber problem with the right rear on some 500s and Taurus cars. Maybe your tire wear is starting on the right rear. My '08 Taurus camber is out on the right rear a little.
ASE and VWoA Master Registered Tech

Cuda_jim

Post by Cuda_jim » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:50 am

Did you get a 4 wheel alignment or just the front?
They should have given you a readout of the Castor, Camber, Toe, Thrust angle settings....before and after any adjustments that may have been made. If you have a copy of it post it here.

I've had no problems with abnormal tire wear. 2005 500 AWD CVT Limited 112K miles. All suspension/steering components original. I had it aligned 6 months ago when new tires were installed. It was still in spec but the technician tweaked all the settings to the middle of the tolerances.
05 500 Limited, AWD, CVT Amp and 2, 12 inch boomers in the trunk.
If hitting it with a hammer doesn't fix it........ you have an electrical problem. :~)

JIM

mhoke1985

Post by mhoke1985 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:48 am

I have the same 500 AWD SEL and just got bad news from the tire salesman as well. I replaced the original tires (Continental) in august 08 at 28K because of noise issues. Now the Yokahama tires (60K tread life) need to be replaced due to uneven wear on the inside tread of the tire. These tires only have 26K on them. The salesrep told me that the car has some sort of negative camber setup for better handling. I purchased this car new and it has never been in a crash.

I wonder if it is the AWD causing the problem.

Cuda_jim

Post by Cuda_jim » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:14 am

AWD will not cause uneven tire wear, it's an alignment problem and/or suspension/steering parts worn out.
05 500 Limited, AWD, CVT Amp and 2, 12 inch boomers in the trunk.
If hitting it with a hammer doesn't fix it........ you have an electrical problem. :~)

JIM

RStabb

Post by RStabb » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:31 am

I've never had problems with my 500 with tire wear.

Rotate, balance and align to specs.

donrautter
Vehicle: 2006 Ford 500 SEL AWD

Post by donrautter » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:50 pm

hi all, i am a newbie, age 67 ex auto mechanic, my 2006 awd five hundred had this inner tire wear problem. put michelin hydroedge tires on at 700 miles. at 36k and 6 tire rotations ,3 alignment checks the tires all were wore on the inside, being directional only front and rear were rotated. After much checking i came across a ford tsb 10-2-13. it covers rear suspension inner tire wear. it is for 2wd five hundreds and taurus, freestyle. there is a kit available to correct this problem, as of yet nothing for the awd, however ford reccommended to adjust the rear toe to a total of +.10 SHOULD REDUCE THE WEAR. This is unlikely to change the camber however. if the camber readings are still out of spec after adjusting this, a componet is either worn or bent. commonly this is caused by the spring or excessive weight in the trunk. if the trunk is empty, ensure all components are free of damage.. if they are, replace the rear springs and service the strut mounts as needed and retest the alignment. Well as of today i have about 450 miles on this so called fixit from ford, the new michelins so far are ok but we will see. i guess i can't carry 5 sets of golf clubs in the trunk like they boasted about, maybe i could if my buddies followed in another vehicle. it is really to bad it takes car guys to research this stuff beacause the factory screws up and don't get back to the custmer. right now i am out many $$$$$$$$$$$ for 2 sets of tires and 4 alignments. the dealer is working with me on this. nuff said.

bobh808

Post by bobh808 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi I bought a ford 500 awd july 1 2006 we have 94500mil. on it . We replaced the tires at 18000mil. and again at 38000mils. We put on yokohama this time and they still look like new. We had trouble with the car acting up at 94000mil. and took it to shop . The car was back in the shop 8 times for the same problem. $1774.74 later they sead the car was done. Had to send the car to another dealer to fiox it. At $280.00. The car has a built in wireing problem so if youy buy one make sure you check the wire harness on the passinger side by the AC charging port. Save yourselfe a lot of money e-mail me and I will tell you what to do to fix it. [email protected]

Eddie1961

Post by Eddie1961 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:33 pm

Well i am sorry o read all these problems with the ford 500's.
This is the 6th ford in my family and all have been problem free.
2003 Mustang limited edition 100th anniversary was my last car until some drunk totaled it in front of my house when it was parked.
So as of last march i had to look for another car to get around in and came across a ford 500.

The main reason i purchased it is it didnt look tough to fix being an ex mechanic.
2006 Ford 500 limited AWD --- it had 32k miles on it and i questioned why somone would trae this in or why didnt anyone purchase this in a heartbeat. It is a very well maintained and clean car and was only a 1 owner car. and yes it has the CVT trans in it.

This car now has 50k on it and all the driving that i do in city or highway is great.
this car makes no noises and everything works so far and all works well.
The CVT i must say is different than other trans but this one makes no noise at all and drives very well very responsive and i keep an eye on the tach methodically looking for any slips while accelerating, and to no dissappointment.....

One thing i did find in a recent oil change is that the motor mount on the top of the engine is broken and needs to be replaced, and i will be looking at a brake job soon, and i have a minor trans oil leak which looks like the trans has been serviced but you never know with a used car.

The whining noises i can say can come from the bearings in the trans, and if its a deep whinig noise it can also mean the gears mesh would show some kind of damage but all this they would have to take the trans out and physically look at the gears..........

As for tires ------mine are wearing very even
and being a mustang owner and previous track driver
i test my car daily in turns and all and this car has no let down so far to my knowledge...

i kinda grew to love this car
but i am still getting another mustang
probably the new boss 302 coming out soon to a dealer near you

To all here
Hi my name is Ed
and everyone have a blessed day

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:37 am

On our 2007 Freestyle AWD, we had the factory P6's and had them wearing like garbage (with the inner-tire wear folks are showing). I replaced them with a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4's, and had an alignment done at the same time. The alignment was off just a bit, but nothing that would attribute to tire wear. After running these MXV4's for another 20k miles (I use snows in the winter), they show zero wear at all - much different thant he stock P6's did.

Fast forward to my '07 Montego AWD, with the same factory P6's which, after 20k miles, wore out on the inside in a similar fashion. I snagged a set of the same MXV4's a few weeks ago, and am having them mounted and alignment done on the car in the spring (run snows in the winter) hoping for the same results.

I will say that for the winters I run snow tires on both vehicles (on 17" rims), and have kept an eye on the tire wear on those sets. In both vehicles' cases, the snow tires are showing zero wear on the inside tread area. Very strange, given the significant wear both sets of P6's showed after very few miles...

andy
2 "Ford" and 2 "Honda" Family in NH

05 Accord LX Sedan Auto 118k miles
07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 67k miles
04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 1k miles

woodsman

Post by woodsman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:31 pm

I got 61k on my factory tires and man were they worn when replaced...

modelhead

Post by modelhead » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:43 pm

I'm almost through my second set at 130k. The car holds the road like a magnet and the tires run straight and quiet. Tires are tricky business and there are a million hack artists out there selling tires.