If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Front Seat Replacement help

whydididothis
Vehicle: 2006 Ford Taurus SEL

Front Seat Replacement help

Post by whydididothis » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:53 pm

I picked a nice 2006 Taurus SEL but the interior is trashed. Some seat foam is torn out out the driver seat and center arm rest pad. I figured it's less expensive to replace the front seats with junkyard parts but I cannot find any gray leather, no airbag, electric seats within 500 miles of Virginia.

Is it possible to install manual front and rear cloth seats? or cloth electric seats?

Xray
Vehicle: 2002 Ford Taurus

Re: Front Seat Replacement help

Post by Xray » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:47 pm

Hello, did you get your seat troubles figured out? I work in an auto upholstery shop since '89 and was curious if you got any further.
The only thing you would have to check with the new seats is the threaded holes on the floor match the holes on the seat frame. If not you would have to drill and tap new holes. Manual seats would be easier but if you want power seats you would have to make sure the plugs underneath the seat match your existing plugs coming up through the carpet. All you need is to plug in what able to. If there is no airbag in the seat that's fine, you can leave that unplugged from the carpet and there should be no problem. You can install cloth front and rear no problem as long as the bolt holes in the floor match up. If it's the same yer and model car you should be fine.

whydididothis
Vehicle: 2006 Ford Taurus SEL

Re: Front Seat Replacement help

Post by whydididothis » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:07 am

Thanks X-ray!
Since that time I learned that the car must have been in a flood.
The interior has a horrible smell. I thought it was the carpet but it's the seats too. My son and I took out all of the seats and carpet, except the driver seat, and all of the trunk carpet -and it still reeks. We're going to pull all of the door panels next and maybe the headliner too.
I realized it would be less expensive to buy a wrecked Taurus that had a decent interior than it would be to buy the interior piece by piece. We're going with gray manual cloth seats. Apparently all of the Tauri of this generation have identical seat tracks. I hope the new carpet comes with the same backing the original did. I was impressed at how thick the Ford carpet backing was.