If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Has anyone bought this tesla style screen?

mymangochutney
Regular Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:50 pm
Vehicle: Taurus FPIS 2013

Has anyone bought this tesla style screen?

Post by mymangochutney » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:56 pm

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/13-3-in ... 38803.html


Reminds me of the Havis system but missing a 0 in the price!


GonzoWerke
Regular Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:20 am
Vehicle: 2013 Police Interceptor

Re: Has anyone bought this tesla style screen?

Post by GonzoWerke » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:15 am

I'd do it if it supported Sirius.

Jake_Blues
Regular Member
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:25 pm
Vehicle: 2013 Police Interceptor Sedan

Re: Has anyone bought this tesla style screen?

Post by Jake_Blues » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:04 pm

My first concern with this would be Android 6 - Marshmallow as released like in 2015?

For my comfort level I would only consider the latest Android OS which is 8.

I like the idea of the Tesla screen - but knowing how finicky these things tend to be be, I'd be more comfortable with dedicated buttons for my AC/Heat like this unit http://www.carnaviplayer.com/aftermarke ... 2017-p-894

Soda_can_dan
Regular Member
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:58 am
Vehicle: 2015 FORD TAURUS POLICE INTCPR

Re: Has anyone bought this tesla style screen?

Post by Soda_can_dan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:22 pm

Where do you find all these weird china radios? Lol

Jake_Blues
Regular Member
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:25 pm
Vehicle: 2013 Police Interceptor Sedan

Re: Has anyone bought this tesla style screen?

Post by Jake_Blues » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:18 pm

Soda_can_dan wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:22 pm
Where do you find all these weird china radios? Lol
they all seem to come up when you do a Google search for "Ford, Taurus, head unit, radio"

based on the stereo shops i've been to around here they say there are no aftermarket faceplates/kits for 2013-2017 Ford Taurus mainly because these mfgs are tired of Ford changing the console design every few years.

Soda_can_dan
Regular Member
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:58 am
Vehicle: 2015 FORD TAURUS POLICE INTCPR

Re: Has anyone bought this tesla style screen?

Post by Soda_can_dan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:42 pm

Jake_Blues wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:18 pm
Soda_can_dan wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:22 pm
Where do you find all these weird china radios? Lol
they all seem to come up when you do a Google search for "Ford, Taurus, head unit, radio"

based on the stereo shops i've been to around here they say there are no aftermarket faceplates/kits for 2013-2017 Ford Taurus mainly because these mfgs are tired of Ford changing the console design every few years.
I was told the same thing and couldn’t personally find a dash kit. Once i saw the Chinese screen on your other post, I was sold on it. I like the other one better than this one because it plays cds and dvds.

mymangochutney
Regular Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:50 pm
Vehicle: Taurus FPIS 2013

Re: Has anyone bought this tesla style screen?

Post by mymangochutney » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:15 pm

GonzoWerke wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:15 am
I'd do it if it supported Sirius.
You could use the app on the device?

GonzoWerke
Regular Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:20 am
Vehicle: 2013 Police Interceptor

Re: Has anyone bought this tesla style screen?

Post by GonzoWerke » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:21 pm

mymangochutney wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:15 pm
GonzoWerke wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:15 am
I'd do it if it supported Sirius.
You could use the app on the device?
DAMN! Never thought of that! ...but my data...

mymangochutney
Regular Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:50 pm
Vehicle: Taurus FPIS 2013

Re: Has anyone bought this tesla style screen?

Post by mymangochutney » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:53 pm

I thought American carriers had unlimited data for cheap?

GonzoWerke
Regular Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:20 am
Vehicle: 2013 Police Interceptor

Re: Has anyone bought this tesla style screen?

Post by GonzoWerke » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:00 pm

Now that you mention it...I think the Wife did get us unlimited.

Soda_can_dan
Regular Member
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:58 am
Vehicle: 2015 FORD TAURUS POLICE INTCPR

Re: Has anyone bought this tesla style screen?

Post by Soda_can_dan » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:32 am

I just installed this Tesla radio. For the most part it’s great, however there is no SIM card option available so you have to use your phone as a WiFi hotspot. And there is no way to activate rear defrost. Besides that it is awesome and far cheaper than the only other way more expensive option.

shreksbrother
Regular Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:46 am
Vehicle: 2013 PI

Re: Has anyone bought this tesla style screen?

Post by shreksbrother » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:04 pm

Soda_can_dan wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:32 am
I just installed this Tesla radio. For the most part it’s great, however there is no SIM card option available so you have to use your phone as a WiFi hotspot. And there is no way to activate rear defrost. Besides that it is awesome and far cheaper than the only other way more expensive option.
Awesome! Any chance you could share a couple of pics?

That's weird about the rear defroster...

mymangochutney
Regular Member
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:50 pm
Vehicle: Taurus FPIS 2013

Re: Has anyone bought this tesla style screen?

Post by mymangochutney » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:49 pm

shreksbrother wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:04 pm
Soda_can_dan wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:32 am
I just installed this Tesla radio. For the most part it’s great, however there is no SIM card option available so you have to use your phone as a WiFi hotspot. And there is no way to activate rear defrost. Besides that it is awesome and far cheaper than the only other way more expensive option.
Awesome! Any chance you could share a couple of pics?

That's weird about the rear defroster...
seconded, would love pics!

transportsaxon
Regular Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:48 am

Re: Has anyone bought this tesla style screen?

Post by transportsaxon » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:56 pm

I bought the Car Navi unit, I haven't had the time to mess with it between work and school yet.

Do you need the civ console to get these to fit properly? The police radio seems shorter, might have to trim a bit of it down to get my aftermarket radio to fit with the police console. Otherwise, I'll be making a trip to the junkyard lol.

Assuming it works out, I'll post some pictures later this week.

Jake_Blues
Regular Member
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:25 pm
Vehicle: 2013 Police Interceptor Sedan

Re: Has anyone bought this tesla style screen?

Post by Jake_Blues » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:37 pm

cool!

can't wait to see pics.

did you get the rear camera and OBD II add ons?

transportsaxon
Regular Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:48 am

Re: Has anyone bought this tesla style screen?

Post by transportsaxon » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:40 pm

I only got the android auto add-on, I have a Bluetooth OBD sensor and the car came with an aftermarket rear view mirror camera. I'm having a console shipped to me so it will be a while yet. It also looks like it came with an adapter for those SYNC/AUX modules, so it will be fun if I can use those in a non-sync car lol.

transportsaxon
Regular Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:48 am

Re: Has anyone bought this tesla style screen?

Post by transportsaxon » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:05 pm

Image

Got it installed today and it works pretty good, I ran out of time to get the center console installed but I'll post it later when its all together. I freaked out when I noticed I was missing a wiring harness, but that was for some of the speakers that aren't in the PI Sedan or for Sync I guess. One feature that this has that wasn't advertised is it actually has a Sync app to retain sync features.

Thank you to all of the users for little nuggets of helpful information

Jake_Blues
Regular Member
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:25 pm
Vehicle: 2013 Police Interceptor Sedan

Re: Has anyone bought this tesla style screen?

Post by Jake_Blues » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:21 pm

excellent job!

are you planning on moving the speakers out of the rear deck to the rear doors?

Tech88
Regular Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:22 pm
Vehicle: 13' PI

Re: Has anyone bought this tesla style screen?

Post by Tech88 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:19 am

Do you have the civi console or PI console? Wondering how it fits with the PI console

transportsaxon
Regular Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:48 am

Re: Has anyone bought this tesla style screen?

Post by transportsaxon » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:47 pm

Need a civi console, the radio is much longer than the PI version, and is keyed differently for civi bezels.

Post Reply