If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

FPIS Speedometer Instrument Gauge Cluster Swap

detkay
Vehicle: 14 FPIS • 16 FPIU • 17 TAH. PP

FPIS Speedometer Instrument Gauge Cluster Swap

Post by detkay » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:12 pm

Hi all,

I still haven't been able to find a very clear answer for this, but does anyone know if the speedo instrument gauge cluster will fit all models from 2013 and up? I have a friend, who owns a 2013 FPIS (3.5 AWD model) that doesn't have a digital speedometer option, who did have it taken it in to 5 dealerships in our area to have it enabled. All 5 of them performed all the updates to the vehicle, the outcome was the same, can't be enabled as it is an analog speedometer cluster.

The question I have, would it be possible to swap it out for the ones that do already have the digital speedo enabled? Like from the years of 2014 and up? All plug and play with the exception of having the odometer updated to the vehicle's accurate odo?
Current: '14 Ford PI Sedan TT EcoBoost • '16 Ford PI Utility TT EcoBoost • '17 Chevy Tahoe Pursuit
Previously Owned: '11 Ford CVPI • '14 Ford F150 Platinum • '16 Dodge Charger Police Package

seens123
Vehicle: 2013 Taurus Police Interceptor

Re: FPIS Speedometer Instrument Gauge Cluster Swap

Post by seens123 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:02 pm

I’m not sure about the cluster swap, but the current cluster should 100% be able to be updated. The Ford Dealer needs to update the IPC Module on the car and it should show up in the Trip Menu. My 2013 FPIS had the same issue and after the 30 minute update, I had the stock digital speedo on my dash.

detkay

Post by detkay » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:45 pm

That's weird. Yeah all 5 dealerships in my area said the exact same thing to him, they couldn't do it. They did updated everything, including that, had a lot more options than it previously did (verified via Forscan after being updated), but yet, still no digital speedo enabled. All the modules have been updated to it's latest version, so I was told.

Does anyone know the as-built code line that might enable it? I have checked the previous ones that I've been told but that line doesn't exist in this model.
Current: '14 Ford PI Sedan TT EcoBoost • '16 Ford PI Utility TT EcoBoost • '17 Chevy Tahoe Pursuit
Previously Owned: '11 Ford CVPI • '14 Ford F150 Platinum • '16 Dodge Charger Police Package

Jake_Blues
Vehicle: 2013 Police Interceptor Sedan

Post by Jake_Blues » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:20 am

So, you're in the TRIP A/B module of the cluster and the digital speedo doesn't show up?

detkay

Post by detkay » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:00 am

It’s weird, never had that issue with my 14 FPIS & the 16 FPIU. Hearing some of the 2013 models (some with production year in 2012) are having that issue too.

seens123

Post by seens123 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:12 am

From my understanding all 2013 units made in mid-2012 did not have the digital speedometer software until early 2013. FORScan unfortunately has no control over the digital speedometer, at least for these vehicles. If you want to try yourself, the clone versions of Ford IDS software and hardware is about $100 on Amazon (that’s how I did my update). Essentially just need to go into module programming and update the module. I can’t think of any other possible scenario and I’ve seen my fair share of these cars.

As another solution, check out this PSA I wrote on reddit attached with a video I found on YouTube with a “hidden” digital speedometer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ford/comments/ ... ame=iossmf

detkay

Post by detkay » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:23 am

That's what I was reading too, the 2013 models that were made in 2012 year, won't have that enabled. Doesn't hurt to try, but do you remember the link to that Amazon that I can check out for the buddy's FPIS and possibly give it a shot? Any additional plug wire needed, aside from the HS/MS switch OBDII connection that's needed for Forscan? Thanks in advance!
--It's just weird the dealerships couldn't do it at all? Do you think they would be able to do this, at any point realistically?

I've heard about this one, however I don't think he wants to go through that every time he starts the car lol, as he switches back and forth to see the temperature during warm up.

seens123

Post by seens123 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:04 am

That’s the link for the exact one I bought. Comes with the hardware and the software for what you need to get it done. The OBD connector is different from the ones we use for FORScan as this will allow IDS to detect the car. Might need to get a external CD drive if your laptop doesn’t have one. From what I’ve read online Ford charges about $90 for the software update so this might pay for itself. If anything it’s Amazon so it’s easily returnable. Let me know if you need help going through the process. Fairly simple but a little more advanced than FORScan. Good luck!

VXDIAG VCX Nano for Ford/Mazda 2 in 1 with IDS V100 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EFWPAN0/re ... ODbVQ4HFXW

detkay

Post by detkay » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:12 am

Definitely a big thank you! I will be sure he gets one of these, or I just might if it all works out! Do you remember the steps to update the IPC module to enable the digital speedo, fairly easy or? Thanks again!

seens123

Post by seens123 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:24 pm

I use IDS all the time since I got it so it’s fairly easy for me. After installing the software you essentially just have to plug it in and the software just has to detect the vehicle and then you click “module reprogramming” and select IPC Module. IDS will automatically find the newest calibration via WiFi and it’ll go through the download procedure. Here’s a video I saw on YouTube that essentially outlines the process. He does the PCM in this but besides that the process is exactly the same.

https://youtu.be/39IaVoc0EHs

By the way, I love the color of your car, super rare. Really wish I could have got that color. Mines pretty scarce too, it’s Minnesota State Patrol Red. If you’re near the Chicago area let me know I can try to help out haha.

detkay

Post by detkay » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:33 pm

Perfect, thank you! I’ll get him to order one and do the due process for this. I’ll report back if it worked or run into any issues. Thanks again!

seens123

Post by seens123 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:08 pm

For sure. Just keep in mind you need a dvd drive and a windows laptop. The device didn’t really come with software install instructions but I was able to figure it out. Totally worth it in the end. Good luck

detkay

Post by detkay » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:41 pm

No problem, will just use the work ToughBook as it has one integrated. & okay, will message you if I can’t get through the instructions. After seeing all the topics related on this thing, sounds like it pays itself off!

Tech88
Vehicle: 13' PI

Post by Tech88 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:40 am

seens123 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:24 pm
I use IDS all the time since I got it so it’s fairly easy for me. After installing the software you essentially just have to plug it in and the software just has to detect the vehicle and then you click “module reprogramming” and select IPC Module. IDS will automatically find the newest calibration via WiFi and it’ll go through the download procedure. Here’s a video I saw on YouTube that essentially outlines the process. He does the PCM in this but besides that the process is exactly the same.
What part of chicago you in? Would like to get get mine updated.

By the way, I love the color of your car, super rare. Really wish I could have got that color. Mines pretty scarce too, it’s Minnesota State Patrol Red. If you’re near the Chicago area let me know I can try to help out haha.

seens123

Post by seens123 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:56 am

Tech88, I’m near West Rogers Park and work in the Lincoln Park area
Tech88 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:40 am
seens123 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:24 pm
What part of chicago you in? Would like to get get mine updated.

detkay

Post by detkay » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:35 pm

So finally got the digital speedometer enabled tonight in less than 15 minutes with Ford IDS on a friend’s 2013 FPIS up north (visiting for holidays); a huge thanks to @crownedking! So yes, all 2013-2019 FPIS + FPIU digital speed readout can be enabled by Ford IDS if you don’t have it enabled from factory, it’s 100% possible and confirmed! A instrument speedometer cluster swap isn’t required.
56463B5D-A0AE-413C-A0EE-2AE43350632A.jpeg
56463B5D-A0AE-413C-A0EE-2AE43350632A.jpeg (152.47 KiB) Viewed 1303 times

Tech88

Post by Tech88 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:01 pm

Did you have to flash the cluster module? Or was it just a setting in IDS? I'm about to buy the VCX NANO from amazon

detkay

Post by detkay » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:40 pm

You have to flash the module via IDS, there's absolutely no other way! That's the same VCX NANO I bought, from Amazon with 1-Day shipping. I'll admit, getting the IDS to work properly is the issue, but once I got it to work, the key is to follow the instructions step-by-step, and you're gold! If you have any issues, message me, and I will help you. :) It took me about 15-30 mins, mostly to download the firmware from the internet and installation, but the wiping took a few seconds. Just make sure NOT to touch anything in the vehicle while its in process, or you'll screw it up big time.

It really paid for itself, honestly. Dealerships will charge you more than the device's worth, but once you get into Ford IDS, which has 100% dealer access, you're gold; don't even need the dealer to service your vehicle anymore, aside from basic maintenance via warranty.

Tech88

Post by Tech88 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:49 pm

detkay wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:40 pm
You have to flash the module via IDS, there's absolutely no other way! That's the same VCX NANO I bought, from Amazon with 1-Day shipping. I'll admit, getting the IDS to work properly is the issue, but once I got it to work, the key is to follow the instructions step-by-step, and you're gold! If you have any issues, message me, and I will help you. :) It took me about 15-30 mins, mostly to download the firmware from the internet and installation, but the wiping took a few seconds. Just make sure NOT to touch anything in the vehicle while its in process, or you'll screw it up big time.

It really paid for itself, honestly. Dealerships will charge you more than the device's worth, but once you get into Ford IDS, which has 100% dealer access, you're gold; don't even need the dealer to service your vehicle anymore, aside from basic maintenance via warranty.
Bought my nano this morning. Will be here later today!!!

detkay

Post by detkay » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:05 pm

Awesome! If you run into any issues, just contact myself of @crownedking! He has been a huge help.