If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Headlights on 2013 Interceptor sedan

bluiiis
Vehicle: 2013 Taurus Police Interceptor

Headlights on 2013 Interceptor sedan

Post by bluiiis » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:16 pm

I recently bought a mint example of the 2013 TPIS. 30,000KM with ~760 hours total. Originally used as a driver training car (with additional pedals on passenger side so now has a since filled in hole in the floor where they were mounted to) . It seems to be largely stock with the exception of all the whelen/code3 stuff having been ripped out (looking for Ideas on what to do with the hole in the headliner but at least they didn't destroy the sunglasses holder :) ) . Safety was passed 2 weeks ago and vehicle plated with no major issues.

I love the car, with the exception of 1 thing. The headlights are GARBAGE. utter garbage. I can't emphasise how garbage they are. It's almost like they are in permanent DRL mode, except that they do get marginally brighter when you flip the headlights on. On city streets, you'd be forgiven on the perception that they're not even on, and when out in the boonies, it's like you have very dim DRLs. (Comparing these lights to a 2009 Subaru impreza with incandescent bulbs and projectors and a 2015 Nissan rogue with factory LEDs and projectors).

I Instantly ripped out the incandescent bulbs (assuming non-Halogen), as they were super dim and replaced with LEDs (have actually tried 2 different ones) Currently in use are these:
https://www.amazon.ca/BPS-Lighting-Conv ... B07X2YQNCZ
after having removed these.
https://www.amazon.ca/Headlight-SEALIGH ... B07NV5QN32
I also have a set of SYLVANIA 9012 SilverStar zXe Halogen bulbs in reserve, although I don't really expect any different performance, and I'm less inclined to use them, since they have a high cost, lower life span than LEDs and are used as DRL, Headlight and high-beam.

The headlight flap for the high-beams seems to be working as it's supposed to so I'm sort of fishing for ideas. Aside from the brightness issues that I have the electricals seem to be working properly. Are there any common areas that folks have experienced an issue in and resolved? I'm low on desire to freeze my bum off working in the cold - BRRRRR! :)

mymangochutney
Vehicle: Taurus FPIS 2013

Re: Headlights on 2013 Interceptor sedan

Post by mymangochutney » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:53 pm

Could tell you were from Canadastan just from the words safety and plated lol, not sure why Americans call them tags.

The headlights are pretty good in my experience! I have the stock ones, switched out for "the best" halogen and no difference at all. The do suck in the rain storms in the areas where lines are orange though (highway construction)

Forgot to mention, you should add some photos!

bluiiis
Vehicle: 2013 Taurus Police Interceptor

Post by bluiiis » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:01 pm

Oh yes, very much from Canukistan.

I'm trying to gauge if these headlights are performing to (or as close as possible to) spec. if they aren't then we have some room to do troubleshooting and the like. If they are, then I'd seriously consider some additional lighting options (and ultimately trading the vehicle in on something else if I couldn't find anything better).

yeah, I'll add photos when I get the chance. I'll need to find somewhere where I can grab the wife's car and take it to the same place for a consistent demo

Tech88
Vehicle: 13' PI

Post by Tech88 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:33 am

You need to get HID bulbs as HIDs perform significantly better with the headlight projectors. Or adjustable LEDs work well too

C_Note479881
Vehicle: 2014 Ford Taurus Police Interc

Post by C_Note479881 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:14 pm

I'm looking into getting a 2013 or 2014 Ford Taurus Police Interceptor myself after a friend on mine got one. I had started to help him to modify the car and the lights were a big issue on his list. I told him to look into https://www.amazon.com and to look at the HID bulbs on there. He ordered the 6000k High/Low beans and he says that they have worked out for him. I'll try to get him to send pictures of the difference. I have used the same site to upgrade my Mustang's headlights and they performed much better than stock. Check out the site if you get the time.

detkay
Vehicle: 14 FPIS • 16 FPIU • 17 TAH. PP

Post by detkay » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:17 pm

LEDs over HIDs any day! Honestly, I loathe people who use HIDs, blinds you on oncoming because people don’t know how to level their lights. Trucks are a different story lol. But moreso, I chose LEDs in mine over HIDs because they last longer, and doesn’t have that few seconds “warm up” when you turn them on, like HIDs do. Disabling DRLs would be the best thing as well. Don’t need one side burning out or randomly changing to a different color, looking like an idiot lol. I would stick to LEDs. I’ll see if I can get some pics in this frigid winter.
Current: '14 Ford PI Sedan TT EcoBoost • '16 Ford PI Utility TT EcoBoost • '17 Chevy Tahoe Pursuit
Previously Owned: '11 Ford CVPI • '14 Ford F150 Platinum • '16 Dodge Charger Police Package

Tech88
Vehicle: 13' PI

Post by Tech88 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:36 pm

Which particular band of LEDs do you use? I prefer LEDs over HIDs too but with the projectors, they really kind of dim down the brightness of the LEDs. I've tried the regular LEDs and a $90 adjustable LED kit.

detkay
Vehicle: 14 FPIS • 16 FPIU • 17 TAH. PP

Post by detkay » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:35 am

Will check the brand on it, but had absolutely no issues throughout as long as I’ve had them. Been bright as hell, through dry roads, wet roads and perfect during the winter nights. I didn’t have to adjust the cut off line nor got flashed for it. The LEDs gave a perfect cut off line. I’ve had HIDs before but they are absolutely junk in the cold temperatures. Also hated the fact that they burn out really quick.

Don’t get the adjustable LEDs because they’re worthless, you can adjust your headlight cut off beam like manually if you get flashed at or any reason necessary, takes a few seconds and easily accessible! Make sure to get the higher wattage LEDs, like I have, they’re awesome! Had them for almost a year now, never looked back on HIDs or regular bulbs.
Tech88 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:36 pm
Which particular band of LEDs do you use? I prefer LEDs over HIDs too but with the projectors, they really kind of dim down the brightness of the LEDs. I've tried the regular LEDs and a $90 adjustable LED kit.
Current: '14 Ford PI Sedan TT EcoBoost • '16 Ford PI Utility TT EcoBoost • '17 Chevy Tahoe Pursuit
Previously Owned: '11 Ford CVPI • '14 Ford F150 Platinum • '16 Dodge Charger Police Package