If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

2013 PI radio issues

garftree
Vehicle: 2013 ford police interceptor

2013 PI radio issues

Post by garftree » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:56 pm

so i have a 2013 police interceptor.
basically my radio is not working when the car is running.
it has been working for some time no no issues. last week i was driving home and i heard a pop thru the speakers and the radio stop working, it would not respond to anything i did. i got home fudge the car off and the next day it worked fine. 4 days later i get in the car i start it and the radio stops working its doing this randomly no and getting worse by the day. today it has not working at all.
now when i turn the car to on(not started) radio works without issue. soon as i start it, pop and nothing.
no sound, the screen has power, i can change the clock i can turn the radio off but it will not come on when i hit the power button. the menu button brings up the clock settings. cd drive does nothing at all also, i cant put cds in or remove them.
i tried unplugging the battery for 30min or so and it did nothing i tried unplugging the 2 rear speaks and that did nothing.
im going to stab this car in the knee cap, someone got any ideas?

Voltaire00
Vehicle: 2014 Ford Taurus police

Re: 2013 PI radio issues

Post by Voltaire00 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:21 pm

You may want to check the lose wires in the car. Some police departments use the speakers for the radio and since you say it happens when you start the car a wire might be shorting out somewhere. That's my only idea.

TerryY
Vehicle: 2013 Police Interceptor Sedan

Post by TerryY » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:48 pm

Have you tried all the push buttons on the right side of the steering wheel? Something there may be muting the radio.
The first place i would physically look is where the 2 connectors are at the base of the center of the dash behind the plastic cover. Whole bunch of wires probably cut off there and they cover most of the functions of lights and buttons

jmr061

Post by jmr061 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:56 pm

Either you have a wiring problem or the ACM is shot. Of the two, based on your description of what is going on, my first guess would be the ACM is shot.
Jason
2016 Edge Sport
www.FordPIMods.com
I was looking over your site and wanted to say, thank you for all the info. - CrownedKing 11/2015

garftree

Post by garftree » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:18 pm

well the buttons on the wheel do nothing at all when this happens its like the radio acts like it isn't equipped anymore.
funny enough the radio worked all day yesterday no issue.
just got in the car today, started it and pop, no radio again. tried restarting the car and it just comes on for a second the pops and stops working.
i guessed the acm myself but couldn't find much info on it or where to get one as no junk yards have any 2010+ taurus's near me. i just dont get why the radio works fine when the car is off or in the run position. but when its actually running, pop. i did remove most of the police wiring so im going to have to pull the radio and look to see whats the deal.

garftree

Post by garftree » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:12 pm

so an updated, i had some extra time after the dentist. so i started it up today, radio was working until i turned on the headlights. so after the tooth puller lady was done, i fiddle with different things trying to get it to act up it seemed this time when i hit the brake peddle the radio stopped. so i got home, and pulled apart some of the dash today and removed some more useless police wires(while it was running) and the radio came back on, its never done this. i removed what could and so far it has been working. ill report back in a couple days to see if this has been the issue.

Celticwolf

Post by Celticwolf » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:40 pm

Check the grounding wire. Chased a similar demon on a lebaron once. Turned out the nut thst held the grounding wire to the body had slightly worked loose.

garftree

Post by garftree » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:30 pm

https://youtu.be/ixZUBfxj040
Here is a video of what it is doing. Forgot to press the preset buttons on the side but they do nothing as well.

It did it again this morning so what i did, did not help. I will go and check some grounds for sure. I called a junk yard about an acm they said they would call me when they locate one...

jmr061

Post by jmr061 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:47 pm

Checking the ground is a great suggestion. The ground for the ACM is on the center console hump on the right (passenger) side forward of where the console plate and dash area would meet. Probably a grounding stud or bolt there with a few grounds going to it.
Jason
2016 Edge Sport
www.FordPIMods.com
I was looking over your site and wanted to say, thank you for all the info. - CrownedKing 11/2015

garftree

Post by garftree » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:43 pm

well i tore the car apart looking for this ground i found nothing on the cent hump passenger side. only thing i found was some wires going into a plastic tube in the spot you speak of. those wires seem to go under or along the passenger seat and come up in the middle of the console into a little box like thing. wires from there go to another box few inches away which is the airbag module.

also i assume the acm is the box under the cd player, correct?

also i noticed when the radio stops working the way it does. after the car has been sitting for some time, 8+ hours or so. because almost always when i get in the car for lunch and going home it works but never when i first start the car after a night of sitting. for example Saturday i started it in the morning and it did not work, i left work a few hours later and it worked for a few minutes then stopped, then i left the house a few hours later and drove for 3 hours with no issues.