If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

91 Taurus sat for 3 yrs, need fuel diagram?

kenny'sID

91 Taurus sat for 3 yrs, need fuel diagram?

Post by kenny'sID » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:03 pm

Hi, this Taurus would burn out a new fuel pump within seconds, or after a couple of starts each time, and at a minimum of $50 a pop I stopped bothering, then it sat for the 3 or so yrs. Not concerned about the why of that for now, just need to get it running, but if someone knows why, I'd be interested to know. I recently decided to try an $8 ebay fuel pump and if it works, carry a spare, but it won't stay running.

It starts then stops quickly if I sit there and do nothing for a few seconds (let the pump run) but it never runs for any period of time unless I pour fuel into the intake and then I get what we get when doing so, and it runs a little longer. IOW I'm reasonably certain it will run if I can get a steady flow of fuel.

Since it does start a little when I let it sit, I'm assuming the pump is able to pump some past whatever obstruction but it uses it up quickly, thats all I can figure at this point anyway, but I could be wrong.

So, checked the fuel filter, and it's getting through there just fine. Now I need to know where the fuel line goes into the engine so I can test for fuel flow there. It may be a no brainier there would be flow between there and the engine, and I'm almost embarrassed to say, but this is the newest car I've ever owned lol so not sure what is between the filter (right rear of car) and the engine.

I've always done all my own work but never had to really work on this one with the acceptation of doing the brakes/Cv's and basic servicing when I first got it (has less than 100,000 mi on it.

I'm guessing it's the fuel injectors clogged? Is there any where else an obstruction could exist before the injectors and after the filter?

Guess that about covers everything up to this point, and then some. :) ....any ideas? Can we at least get me to where the fuel line enters the intake or whatever is there (i know nothing about fuel injection) so I can test for fuel flow, I cannot find it.

thanks for any help

kenny'sID

Re: 91 Taurus sat for 3 yrs, need fuel diagram?

Post by kenny'sID » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:29 pm

For the life of me, I can't see a date on the topics or replies here. Just wanted to see how active the board, is but all I see are user registration dates. Can someone please tell me where to find that?

kenny'sID

Post by kenny'sID » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:12 pm

Pretty sure I found the problem. I found an old after market/fited pump in the car and evidently these cheap pumps aren't high enough pressure. Put the other one on there and it started the car.

Fuel injection has to have a high pressure fuel pump?

kenny'sID

Post by kenny'sID » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:38 pm

I need to know if the fuel pump shuts itself down after the pressure is built or is there some type of relay wired to it that shuts it down?

The reason I ask is a bit complicated but it's important I know that.