If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

aux input radio mod for my 2000 Sable?

joseph.raul

aux input radio mod for my 2000 Sable?

Post by joseph.raul » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:30 pm

I have a 2000 Sable with a radio that has built in cassette. Although I have used the audio cassette adapter for years, I've been wondering if a good aux input modification is now available, and something I could do myself at minimal cost? The mods I keep seeing tap into the radio wiring harness speaker wires and they seem ok, but you either have to have a cassette playing and/or CD playing to work. If I keep having to have a cassette playing, I might as well stick with the cassette adapter. The cassette adapter has done pretty well overall, but as it ages I think the cassette head and head in the adapter start to misalign resulting in audio or frequency loss. If a non-cassette using aux mod has now come along, please share.

Thank you,
Joe

joseph.raul

Re: aux input radio mod for my 2000 Sable?

Post by joseph.raul » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:32 pm

Ok, just a follow up of a mod I just got done trying. It's technically for the Taurus, but I decided to give it a go for my Sable:

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/Instructions%2 ... Taurus.htm

This didn't quite work at first because the wiring is apparently different a bit in my Sable (mainly just swapping the lines). Anyway, the verdict: not very good. Not only am I now getting noise I didn't get with the cassette adapter, but output is weaker and even at full volume it's not as loud as with the adapter. Bottom line is that I'm going back to the cassette adapter.

Hope this helps someone someday. I never found any volume comparisons anywhere (like I just did with the mod versus the cassette adapter), but now I've shared it.

There may be other mods out there, but I'm not convinced that any will equal or exceed the volume when using the cassette adapter.

FM transmitters are definitely out.... tried those years ago and the sound was crappy and it drifted up and down the FM band.

Cassette adapter will continue being used... for now.