If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

AC/Heat Only Blows out Dash Vents

chrishawn416
Vehicle: 2014 Ford Taurus SEL

AC/Heat Only Blows out Dash Vents

Post by chrishawn416 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:48 am

I have a 2014 Taurus SEL.

Yesterday I get in the car and I discover I can only get the blower for AC/Heat to blow out dash vents. It won't change to defrost, floor or anything.

Anyone else had this issue and know what I need to do to fix it?

mmsstar
Vehicle: 2011 Flex SE

Re: AC/Heat Only Blows out Dash Vents

Post by mmsstar » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:33 pm

Sounds like a bad blend door actuator.

chrishawn416

Post by chrishawn416 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:47 pm

I can change it from heat to cool and it works and so does the speed of the blower works.. it just won't change from dash vents to floor or defrost or anything like that

mmsstar wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:33 pm
Sounds like a bad blend door actuator.

chrishawn416

Post by chrishawn416 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:49 pm

Hubby had me take fuse out (#46) and it was good. I put it back in and it still didn't work. He said service guy at dealership said to do the fuse thing, try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and if that doesn't work then it could be "Mode Door Actuator"...

chrishawn416

Post by chrishawn416 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:48 pm

Fordparts.com is telling me a blend door actuator and mode door actuator are the same thing. When I called parts store though, they say there is a left, right and a main.. .ugh... why does this have to be so difficult!?!?!?!

mymangochutney
Vehicle: Taurus FPIS 2013

Post by mymangochutney » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:05 am

chrishawn416 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:49 pm
Hubby had me take fuse out (#46) and it was good. I put it back in and it still didn't work. He said service guy at dealership said to do the fuse thing, try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and if that doesn't work then it could be "Mode Door Actuator"...
I thought ford was buddy buddy with Mazda not Mercedes. So many issues on basically new cars!

mope
Vehicle: 2013 Interceptor

Post by mope » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:12 pm

chrishawn416 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:48 pm
Fordparts.com is telling me a blend door actuator and mode door actuator are the same thing. When I called parts store though, they say there is a left, right and a main.. .ugh... why does this have to be so difficult!?!?!?!

All of this is correct - there are three blend motors in virtually every recent car on the road. Not difficult at all.

mope

Post by mope » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:15 pm

mymangochutney wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:05 am
I thought ford was buddy buddy with Mazda not Mercedes. So many issues on basically new cars!
I don't even know what this statement means?! The dealership, to their credit, gave this customer FREE advise to help identify if this was an electrical issue (blown fuse that runs the blend actuators) or mechanical (bad actuator[s]). Are you under the impression a Mercedes dealership service center would provide free troubleshooting over the phone? You've got to be nuts!

Blend motors fail on all makes/models of cars. It's unfortunate, but when almost all suppliers are building with plastic gears, they're bound to fail.

mymangochutney
Vehicle: Taurus FPIS 2013

Post by mymangochutney » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:00 pm

mope wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:15 pm
I don't even know what this statement means?! The dealership, to their credit, gave this customer FREE advise to help identify if this was an electrical issue (blown fuse that runs the blend actuators) or mechanical (bad actuator[s]). Are you under the impression a Mercedes dealership service center would provide free troubleshooting over the phone? You've got to be nuts! Blend motors fail on all makes/models of cars. It's unfortunate, but when almost all suppliers are building with plastic gears, they're bound to fail.
I'm saying the opposite of what you think. Ford quality is going down over time as they try to be more like German brands and add more complex systems with basically no real benefit to owners.

Blend doors fail but I've heard tons of hvac issues on cars just out of the 3 year warranty which never used to happen years ago

mope

Post by mope » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:00 pm

Ah, I'll apologize for taking that the wrong way.

I don't disagree with you at all - mfrs (Ford included) are definitely engineering vehicles so that service centers get more work (electronics/diagnostics/specialty tools/failure rates).

chrishawn416

Post by chrishawn416 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:02 pm

Ok.. so I had it in the service department yesterday and they told me it was the Mode Select Actuator. Told me they would have to take the whole dash off to get to it and it would cost $460 plus tax.. ugh. Minus the $110 for the diagnosis, I still will have to shell out another $350 plus tax to get this fixed. I live in Indiana so its not like I can just ignore this.. I gotta have defrost.. just wish I didn't have to pay that much. Almost half afraid to take it to a local mechanic in fear they'll screw up something with that touch screen... I love my car but hate all these little things that go wrong that cost so much (for labor)!!!