If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Replacing AC Compressor

talkinggoat

Replacing AC Compressor

Post by talkinggoat » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:19 am

I am about to order an A/C compressor for my 2003 Taurus, but there are 2 available, at Rock Auto... An OE and Service type. Part numbers YC2486 and YCC337. The site doesn't explain the difference.

Also, I found some sites that recommend replacing the dryer and others recommend replacing the condenser. The compressor I have did not seize, it's front seal has failed and is leaking. Some people say to replace these parts, some people say not to worry about it. What do you think?

talkinggoat

Re: Replacing AC Compressor

Post by talkinggoat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:47 am

Anyone?

Magus732
Vehicle: 2000 Taurus SE Comfort

Re: Replacing AC Compressor

Post by Magus732 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:51 am

If you end up having to replace the compressor, or any other part for that matter, try to look up the OEM part number; Motorcraft - and everyone else - assigned part numbers to everything, and if it matches the OEM part, it should say "replaces Motorcraft part #", followed by the actual number. Anything other that this is not OEM replacement; it'll probably work, but matching part numbers virtually guarantees it will work.

Seals can be trickier; if it's leaking refrigerant, it'll eventually lose enough to lower the pressure below the compressor's cutout switch, which'll stop the system dead. If it's a small/slow leak, a can of Super Seal, followed by a can of R-134A, may fix it without anymore time or money spent. I did that with a '98 Dodge Neon I used to own; it started leaking on a trip to New York, and rather than replace the leaking evaporator, I ran Super Seal through it, and only had to top it off once a year. Be very careful, though; adding more than one or two cans of Super Seal, which is meant to seal the leaks regular leak sealers don't, will gunge up your A/C system.
2000 Taurus SE Comfort - Graphite Blue - 3.0L Vulcan FFV
2011 Taurus SEL - Tuxedo Black - 3.5L Duratec 35