If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

2009 Ford Taurus SE Transmission Problems

john lee
Vehicle: 2009 Ford Taurus SE

2009 Ford Taurus SE Transmission Problems

Post by john lee » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:51 am

I bought this car last year with 23K miles on it. The original owner was 94 years old. As of today almost 45K miles. I have experienced the same transmission issues as others have on this site. When I first bought it, always shifted harsh. Starting about a month ago, I backed out of my carport, shifted to drive then there was a slight delay and hard shift into second gear. I went to merge onto a busy road and it acted as it was in neutral and banged so hard into gear the car shuddered. We was almost hit by oncoming traffic. I took it to a Transmission shop and of course no codes and no issues with a road test. The tech told me to replace the valve body because he has seen the same problem that I described. He also stated that the was a new part # for the replacement valve body, thinking its a redesigned part ??? Three days ago, I came to a stop, was going into store parking lot. I pulled out and felt like it was in second gear. The same thing happened again, felt as it was in neutral, almost was hit by a car backing out of a parking spot, I couldn't move. I opened a case with Ford was told to take it to dealership. I also changed the transmission fluid three times. This Monday I have appointment at my local dealership for a $99 diagnosis. I feel that there will be no codes and of course road test will show no issue. I am thinking I should just cancel the diagnosis and save the $99 and just have them install the valve body. I read on here there was a Ford tech that replaced the valve body and it solved this issue. I feel if I pay the $99 dollars the dealership wont apply that credit to installing a valve body when there will be no symptoms or codes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Deckard_Cain

Re: 2009 Ford Taurus SE Transmission Problems

Post by Deckard_Cain » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:49 am

Wow... lots to comment on here. Firstly, people backing out of parking spaces should not almost hit you, whether you are moving or not- that is, IF they are paying attention, as you would have the right-of-way. But that's not the point...

If the dealership charges you for and performs their diagnostic, they're spending time investigating your issue. The tech is researching known problems and testing for their causes on your car in a Guided Fault Finding process. He's working.... it is doubtful, and highly unlikely that they will agree to "work for free in the diagnosis" because you decide to proceed with a repair. That does happen, but is exceedingly rare and typically only happens if the cause was obvious to them or there was some overlap in time spent diagnosing and disassembly required for the repair.

Don't forget that dealer techs get paid only for hours worked on a vehicle (more often than not). If he spent 2 actual clock hours working on your car, you're only paying them for 1 hour and the tech only gets paid for 1 hour of work. I don't think anyone would be happy working a 40 hour week but only being paid for 20.

That being said, you could opt to just ask them to install your new valve body. If it did not fix the issue though, that's going to be on you and they will want additional time to diagnose the issue further. Just be aware of that.

It might be that the transmission shop could find no fault codes because it requires a more dealer-specific scan tool... one that interfaces with your vehicle more closely.

I'd arrange to leave the vehicle with the dealership to road test until they reproduce the concern. If there are no codes, that will be the only thing they can go off of in order to recommend a repair.

john lee

Post by john lee » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:12 am

I took it to the Ford dealership. They found no codes and road test showed nothing, as I suspected. I was told to bring it back if it happens again. I can't leave it at the dealership because it only happens one a month, no warning just happens out of the blue. They did say may be a speed sensor going bad, you would think it would throw a code. So, I'm right back where I started. I guess I will have to just replace parts, valve body, TSS and OSS sensors and hope that solves the problem.

john lee

Post by john lee » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:15 pm

I just talked to the service director at my local Ford. Since, they can't duplicate the issue...I'm paying $1,100 plus tax for valve body,TSS and OSS sensors installed on next Tuesday with no guarantee. it's an expensive gamble and hopefully it solves my transmission problem. I don't know what other choice
I have except to replace the whole transmission.

Deckard_Cain

Post by Deckard_Cain » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:21 am

john lee wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:15 pm
I just talked to the service director at my local Ford. Since, they can't duplicate the issue...I'm paying $1,100 plus tax for valve body,TSS and OSS sensors installed on next Tuesday with no guarantee. it's an expensive gamble and hopefully it solves my transmission problem. I don't know what other choice
I have except to replace the whole transmission.
That's about all you can do if it happens so infrequently that it can't be reproduced or experienced by the tech. That's also likely why there is no DTC stored for it... the vehicle will only store a code, pending or not, for issues that happen above a certain threshold. If it's so infrequent, the vehicle doesn't store the code because it's not often enough for it to care. I'm personifying the car a bit here, but you know what I mean, yeah?

That same infrequency also makes it damn near impossible to diagnose for certain. So replacing parts that are most likely the cause, that may have been the issue in similar vehicles with similar symptoms, is all you can do. It just sucks more in this case because of the cost of the repair/parts.

best of luck, please check back with us after the repair with an update. Very interested to see what happens.