If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

2006 Ford Taurus air bubbles in power steering

HSV-Taurus
Vehicle: 2006 Ford Taurus

2006 Ford Taurus air bubbles in power steering

Post by HSV-Taurus » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:37 pm

I have a 2006 Ford Taurus. I have air bubbles/foaming of the power steering fluid. I vacuum bled the air out but still had problems.

I replaced the pump thinking that may be it but still have issues with air. I vacuum bled several times.

Also another weird issue... I fill up the reservoir to the proper level then start the car. The level goes down considerably. If I put in fluid while running it is obviously too much and overflows when I turn it off.

Where should I look to next?

warment

Re: 2006 Ford Taurus air bubbles in power steering

Post by warment » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:31 pm

Is it possible that the screen in the reservoir is blown out? Saw cavitation before in my brothers ml320. Replaced the reservoir and bled the system properly wand no cavitation afterwards. I cut the old reservoir open and the screen was broken.

I bled the steering by jacking up the front wheels off the ground and turning the wheel lock to lock 20 times or so.
2005 Ford Five Hundred SE
6-spd auto

HSV-Taurus
Vehicle: 2006 Ford Taurus

Post by HSV-Taurus » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:50 am

warment wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:31 pm
Is it possible that the screen in the reservoir is blown out? Saw cavitation before in my brothers ml320. Replaced the reservoir and bled the system properly wand no cavitation afterwards. I cut the old reservoir open and the screen was broken.

I bled the steering by jacking up the front wheels off the ground and turning the wheel lock to lock 20 times or so.
I think I have it now. Didn't realize it would suck in so much fluid when I first started the process. I just had to fill the reservoir almost to overflowing, with no cap, and then run it. I lifted the front with a jack to go lock to lock as you mentioned as well. I went lock to lock about 50 or 60 times before I was happy. I then adjusted the level.

Even with a high level of fluid I am surprised at how far down it goes when running.

warment

Post by warment » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:36 am

Smart move. The jackasses that installed a new steering rack for my brother did not properly bleed the system and they blew out the screen. Read the following and loo at the pics. I am "warment" on that site as well.

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/power ... r.1552258/
2005 Ford Five Hundred SE
6-spd auto